What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
iTunes in the States is now selling the complete series of M*A*S*H* for $49.99 with individual seasons at $9.99

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Lots of John Wayne films on sale at iTunes for $4.99.

Should any be avoided?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Should any be avoided?
I read somewhere that "The Sons of Katie Elder" is letterbox and should be avoided. I have it on Vudu and it's properly presented in its 2.35 aspect ratio there.

The HD digital of "McLintock!" looks beautiful on iTunes.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Should any be avoided?

It used to be that we would only get new sale titles Tuesday's and Friday's, but I've definitely noticed lately that more and more titles pop on other days too. I like it!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
iTunes in the States is now selling the complete series of M*A*S*H* for $49.99 with individual seasons at $9.99
So I caved and bought this. This is probably the lowest price point it will ever reach. My original reluctance was because the laughtrack-free soundtracks weren't included. The re-framing to 16X9 doesn't bother me that much because it is done tastefully and cropping is minimal due to opening up the sides a bit.

I'm going to experiment with the Subler software which allows you to add soundtracks to iTunes files. It doesn't affect the DRM and the file is still playable in iTunes. I'll attempt to lift the laughtrack-free soundtracks from the DVDs and implant them in the iTunes files. There is also an offset feature that can aid with synchronization, but I have a feeling I probably won't be able to maintain sync due to these being completely new masters.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
So I caved and bought this. This is probably the lowest price point it will ever reach. My original reluctance was because the laughtrack-free soundtracks weren't included. The re-framing to 16X9 doesn't bother me that much because it is done tastefully and cropping is minimal due to opening up the sides a bit.

I'm going to experiment with the Subler software which allows you to add soundtracks to iTunes files. It doesn't affect the DRM and the file is still playable in iTunes. I'll attempt to lift the laughtrack-free soundtracks from the DVDs and implant them in the iTunes files. There is also an offset feature that can aid with synchronization, but I have a feeling I probably won't be able to maintain sync due to these being completely new masters.
Yeah, I passed because of the laugh-tracks and the altered aspect ratio. I can't watch it with the laugh track anymore after being spoiled by the DVDs.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
James Bond collections (4K) just went on sale at iTunes at their lowest prices yet.
Connery collection $24.99
Moore collection $24.99
Craig collection $24.99
Brosnan collection $19.99
Dalton collection $9.99
On Her Majesty’s Secret Service $9.99

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Had Connery already, but just nabbed OHMSS, Moore, Dalton and Brosnan. I like the Craig films but I have digital copies in Vudu for two of the four films already so $25 for two films was more than I wanted to spend right now and I know this won’t be the last Craig sale. But it’ll be great to have all the rest without squeezed and windowboxed credits at long last!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As usual, I already own most of them. Picked up the Bond Dalton set for $9.99.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
James Bond collections (4K) just went on sale at iTunes at their lowest prices yet.
Connery collection $24.99
Moore collection $24.99
Craig collection $24.99
Brosnan collection $19.99
Dalton collection $9.99
On Her Majesty’s Secret Service $9.99
I am conflicted on this sale. A part of me thinks that if I am going to spend over $100 on the Bond films in 4K, I would rather have them on disc. Another part thinks this is the cheapest the entire set will be for quite awhile, even after the UHD discs come out. And it will free up quite a bit of shelf space.

What to do, what to do?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Attention 4K Bond fans: PayPal is offering $100 iTunes cards for $85, e-mail delivery...

https://ebay.to/2X2loKA

Can also be used for a year of The Criterion Channel... or a year of Apple Music...

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am conflicted on this sale. A part of me thinks that if I am going to spend over $100 on the Bond films in 4K, I would rather have them on disc. Another part thinks this is the cheapest the entire set will be for quite awhile, even after the UHD discs come out. And it will free up quite a bit of shelf space.

What to do, what to do?
It was an easy decision for me as I don't think I'll ever buy these Bond films again on disc except for the Connery and Craig titles. I even picked up the Moore titles this morning even though they're my least favorite Bond films I couldn't resist that iTunes price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks