What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This may have been the link I read on Facebook (which uses The Digital Bits as a source)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I hear you but the theatrical version are the Oscar winners so I’ll probably pick up both. Be great if both 4K versions were included from the start tho.
True, but I will never watch the theatrical versions again. I prefer the extended versions. So, I don't see any reason to spend any money on them, Oscar awards be damned. ;)

I just have the Hobbit films (theatrical versions) in HD streaming from the digital codes that came with the BDs. I sold the discs a few years ago. I just didn't care for this trilogy like I do LOTR, so I will probably pass on any 4K release. As for LOTR, I really love those films and will wait for the 4K discs of the extended version to drop into my price range, whenever that may be.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Have to wonder if 4K versions of LotR will look any (noticeably) better than the BDs though. I wouldn't bet on that...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Back to the Future bundle $14.99. A purchase now should get you a free 4K upgrade next month. Since my digital codes originally redeemed in SD, I intend to rebuy the bundle to qualify for the 4K upgrade.

Tempting... but I'd like to have the 4K across all MA partners though...

_Man_

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Tempting... but I'd like to have the 4K across all MA partners though...

_Man_

I have to agree with this. I see a lot of people buying digital titles on sale anticipating a 4K upgrade in the future, but to me it doesn't count if it isn't 4K in your MA account.

If a title is one I suspect has 4K coming, I will not buy until that happens, and I feel my digital collection is stronger for it. Everything goes on sale again.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have to agree with this. I see a lot of people buying digital titles on sale anticipating a 4K upgrade in the future, but to me it doesn't count if it isn't 4K in your MA account.

If a title is one I suspect has 4K coming, I will not buy until that happens, and I feel my digital collection is stronger for it. Everything goes on sale again.

Yeah... I think part of this is we already have the BDs and even HD streams in cases like BTTF, so what's the rush? And it's not even clear how much (noticeably) better the 4K will be, if at all, given the history of this trilogy.

Besides, I do actually already have more than enough titles of interest to buy and watch that I didn't already own in any HD format, especially now that I'm going "digital" for a substantial part of my collection...

One thing though: If BTTF 4K is significantly better than the old BDs, I'll probably buy the discs at least in part to help support the 4K disc format and Universal's efforts. They probably could use any extra bit of support given how things are going all-around...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yeah, mine originally redeemed at ITunes but in SD, and even though Movies Anywhere bumped those redemptions up to HD, iTunes doesn’t count it as “their” HD redemption so they won’t upgrade to 4K.
I have a few movies that fall in to that category, except sometime last year iTunes downgraded those back to SD, even on Movies Anywhere. I complained to Apple and Movies Anywhere, but got nothing but the usual run around.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc

It did not happen with The Birds.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I totally get what you‘re saying there, as iTunes has been known to NOT have Atmos on titles that Vudu does. However the ordering ahead of the 4K release date is mainly because after a movie upgrades to 4K, its “sale” price generally tends to be a bit higher than before*. I realize as a say this that you can buy Lawrence of Arabia in 4K for a mere $4.99 right now :rolleyes:

*I should qualify that by saying prices will be higher for a good while. Eventually they will go back down, but if you want to have 4K on day 1 the cheapest option is buying ahead of time with iTunes free upgrade policy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks