What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyone tried the iTunes version of Emma (the 1996 version w/ Gwyneth Paltrow)? It's apparently been on sale for $4.99 since the weekend and actually seemed recently released on iTunes (although it was apparently available on iTunes UK since 2017? according to Blu-ray.com).
I bought it but haven't looked at it yet. I can check it out when I get home. I've never fallen for this trend of bashing Gwyneth. I always liked the movie,

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I bought it but haven't looked at it yet. I can check it out when I get home. I've never fallen for this trend of bashing Gwyneth. I always liked the movie,

I loved the Paltrow version. I liked the entire cast, and the music score by Rachel Portman was beautiful. I think I'll take a chance on the iTunes version as the non-anamorphic DVD is awful.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hmmm. I'm kind of tempted with the guilty pleasure of the Resident Evil series. It's a very uneven series, but $30. Three of the six movies are 4K with the entire series being released in 4K in November, so is it reasonable to expect an upgrade to the other three?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone tried the iTunes version of Emma (the 1996 version w/ Gwyneth Paltrow)? It's apparently been on sale for $4.99 since the weekend and actually seemed recently released on iTunes (although it was apparently available on iTunes UK since 2017? according to Blu-ray.com).

I have the old UK imported BD (that looks like DVD quality... though certainly easily better than the very old non-16x9 DVD as one would expect) and am tempted to give this digital a try to see if it's much of an improvement...

I also noticed that Amazon Prime apparently has a digital version as well... although it may be a different transfer and/or encode (and I don't currently have Prime access)...

_Man_
I loved the Paltrow version. I liked the entire cast, and the music score by Rachel Portman was beautiful. I think I'll take a chance on the iTunes version as the non-anamorphic DVD is awful.

Hmmm... According to this blu-ray.com thread, there's apparently been a whole bunch of releases (and rereleases... whether done or expected) probably due to the ViacomCBS acquisition of Miramax... and the iTunes may actually be from Paramount even though they (or at least this version of Emma) currently credit Lionsgate.

That seems like a mixed blessing given Paramount's track record... but I guess it's at least better than the limbo that these movies were stuck in...

And thanks for checking, John...

_Man_

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
According to this blu-ray.com thread, there's apparently been a whole bunch of releases (and rereleases... whether done or expected) probably due to the ViacomCBS acquisition of Miramax... and the iTunes may actually be from Paramount even though they (or at least this version of Emma) currently credit Lionsgate.

That seems like a mixed blessing given Paramount's track record... but I guess it's at least better than the limbo that these movies were stuck in...

_Man_
The way I see it. It's $5. The only version I've had is the non-anamorphic DVD. So, pretty easy decision.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The way I see it. It's $5. The only version I've had is the non-anamorphic DVD. So, pretty easy decision.

Aye. I would've done so as well if I didn't have the UK imported BD. Might've just gone ahead this evening if I didn't get a response here since that imported BD also set a rather low bar to beat...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Aye. I would've done so as well if I didn't have the UK imported BD. Might've just gone ahead this evening if I didn't get a response here since that imported BD also set a rather low bar to beat...

_Man_
In any case, I'll give it a quick look on my 65" 4K Vizio P Series and let you know.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, looked at the iTunes 1996 Emma with Gwyneth. Definitely subpar. I'd say it looks approximately anamorphic DVD quality, possibly subpar anamorphic DVD quality, and the soundtrack needs help. It's just 2 channel DPL, but it's poorly done and generally collapses entirely to the center, with ambient sounds coming too distinctly and solely from the surrounds. Very unnatural.

Still, at $5 and with Apple's upgrade policy, it's an easy buy for me. Even if I had the R2 BR, I suspect I'd go ahead and drop the nickel for it, in hopes of an eventual upgrade.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Another big bundle that looks worthwhile at $30...

Best of the 70's 10 Film Collection from Warner

Wish I hadn't just bought One Over the Cuckoo's Nest the other day though (when it was $5) -- I noticed the bundle, but really didn't think it'd drop that far that soon...

And the Hunger Games 4K bundle is at $20 now.

My Name is Nobody and In Order of Disappearance also looked interesting enough (at least to me anyway) at $5 each...

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Got an email on this one. Nolan films on sale on Microsoft. The share through movies anywhere. I’d like to get the prestige 4k for $9.99.

It’s been as low as $7.99 on iTunes. Patience is a virtue. ;)

but no 4K on iTunes as it’s a Disney owned film...

picked it up.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Got an email on this one. Nolan films on sale on Microsoft. The share through movies anywhere. I’d like to get the prestige 4k for $9.99.

but no 4K on iTunes as it’s a Disney owned film...

picked it up.
But

It’s a MA title in UHD on vudu and has been $7.99 there too.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I am starting to see some Universal and Warner titles appear as 4K on Prime Video, notably First Man and Scoob!, which just upgraded on my account (they were redeemed as 4K on MA).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks