What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (4 Viewers)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One of us should start a Vudu sharing thread.

Im sure there are a few of us in here who wouldn’t mind sharing through that site’s movie share feature.

Would give a chance to watch a few movies that might be considered for purchase before buying them.
Vudu did away with that just before UV announced they were closing their doors.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Unfortunately, MoviesAnywhere does miss a lot... and then, the Screen Pass feature misses some more on top of that...

My rather modest collection, especially the Screen Pass eligible, is probably too meager for anyone here to find useful... but sure, that sounds like a nice idea...

I sent Screen Pass offers to a couple friends for the last week in July, but they either didn't get around to use them, couldn't decide on what single title to watch or simply didn't find anything that grabbed them -- it could possibly be all of the above. Given the limitations of Screen Pass, I might just grant those couple trusted friends full access to my MA account instead since I don't really use it to watch anything -- too bad MA offers multiple user profiles, but not actually separate logins to them...

_Man_

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Given the limitations of Screen Pass, I might just grant those couple trusted friends full access to my MA account instead since I don't really use it to watch anything

I do that for a few longtime friends and my retired parents. Might as well...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
HUD also has Patricia Neal's Oscar-winning performance (although she has more of a supporting part), and Melvyn Douglas also won a Supporting Oscar. James Wong Howe won for his excellent B&W cinematography. So this film is no slouch. I saw it when it came out and later on in NYC in a gorgeous 35mm print. It still held up magnificently. It deserves the loosely bandied about word "classic."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HUD also has Patricia Neal's Oscar-winning performance (although she has more of a supporting part), and Melvyn Douglas also won a Supporting Oscar. James Wong Howe won for his excellent B&W cinematography. So this film is no slouch. I saw it when it came out and later on in NYC in a gorgeous 35mm print. It still held up magnificently. It deserves the loosely bandied about word "classic."
I purposely didn't mention Neal nor Douglas as I wanted to see if those that were going to watch this for the first time would notice just how good both of them were in this fine film.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
So I did see HONDO in 3D in its OAR of 1.85! However, @Robert Crawford , I remember returning the BD because it was flat and not 3D even though Gretchen Wayne owned the DCP that I'd just watched. Paramount was not interested in using her master.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Okay, so after more thought, I picked out 4 more titles. The Hondo conversation was contagious so I bought it for $4.99 (could have saved a buck if I had grabbed it yesterday!) I haven't seen it since DVD because I was stubbornly waiting for 3D. I also picked up a couple of ex-Olive Westerns: Denver & Rio Grand and Silver City. And finally Children of a Lesser God, just because it's been decades since I've seen it and it appeals to me more now than it did back then.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The deals section at blu-ray.com now includes FandangoNow, giving it a slight advantage over CheapCharts.

Decent deals to be had there from time to time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You should like this film with so many recognizable actors in its cast. It's a little long, but it's about a man's quest for revenge.

I have actually seen this at some point. It's on my shelf. I have it on DVD and the shrinkwrap is off. I just don't remember it.

So, basically, I will be watching this fresh. I also have another McQueen film that I bought this past week, HELL IS FOR HEROES. So I have two McQueen films on tap.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I see iTunes has "Nevada Smith" starring Steve McQueen and Karl Malden is on sale for $4.99. Another highly recommended western.
It’s a prequel to The Carpetbaggers and I also think it is superior to it. Steve McQueen at 35 is playing a 16 year old Nevada Smith, who was played by Alan Ladd in The Carpetbaggers, while Brian Keith is supposed to be a younger Leif Erickson.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have actually seen this at some point. It's on my shelf. I have it on DVD and the shrinkwrap is off. I just don't remember it.

So, basically, I will be watching this fresh. I also have another McQueen film that I bought this past week, HELL IS FOR HEROES. So I have two McQueen films on tap.
Both movies are good choices!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s a prequel to The Carpetbaggers and I also think it is superior to it. Steve McQueen at 35 is playing a 16 year old Nevada Smith, who was played by Alan Ladd in The Carpetbaggers, while Brian Keith is supposed to be a younger Leif Erickson.
Well, one is really a western while the other movie is more about a Howard Hughes type and early movie making. I enjoy both movies.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone tried the iTunes version of Emma (the 1996 version w/ Gwyneth Paltrow)? It's apparently been on sale for $4.99 since the weekend and actually seemed recently released on iTunes (although it was apparently available on iTunes UK since 2017? according to Blu-ray.com).

I have the old UK imported BD (that looks like DVD quality... though certainly easily better than the very old non-16x9 DVD as one would expect) and am tempted to give this digital a try to see if it's much of an improvement...

I also noticed that Amazon Prime apparently has a digital version as well... although it may be a different transfer and/or encode (and I don't currently have Prime access)...

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Another Tuesday, another slate of overpriced 4K titles on iTunes. I did notice The Great Escape is available in 4K for $9.99. Does anyone know how it compares to the recently released Criterion Blu?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Another Tuesday, another slate of overpriced 4K titles on iTunes. I did notice The Great Escape is available in 4K for $9.99. Does anyone know how it compares to the recently released Criterion Blu?

I have not personally watched it though I bought it 4k.

The conversation I had with my friend via messaging who had just finished it:

"Yeah,it’s limited by the unevenness od the original photography. By the time they start escaping in the Russian woodcutters and such it starts evening out and by the time they’re plotting its solid"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks