General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
One of us should start a Vudu sharing thread.

Im sure there are a few of us in here who wouldn’t mind sharing through that site’s movie share feature.

Would give a chance to watch a few movies that might be considered for purchase before buying them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Tino. Robert is my "go-to" guy for classic film recommendations. He knows what I like.

However, you are free to recommend away while this stuff is still $3.99

Thank You so much
I cannot remember if you already picked up The Shootist during a previous sale. If not, I would really recommend this one. Along with Wayne in a very personal role, you get Lauren Bacall and Ron Howard. It's really a wonderful film.

EDIT: Looks like The Shootist isn't that good of a deal, as it's bundled with High Noon for $19. I do see that True Grit is only $4.99, though, and that would be a good one to pick up.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Anyone care to offer recommendations on Hell is for Heroes with Steve McQueen? I usually enjoy McQueen, but haven't seen this one, and it's part of the $3.99 sale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Anyone care to offer recommendations on Hell is for Heroes with Steve McQueen? I usually enjoy McQueen, but haven't seen this one, and it's part of the $3.99 sale.
A really gritty film with a great cast of actors and one of McQueen's best acting performances. I just watched it again several weeks ago on iTunes.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Anyone here old enough to remember back in the 1980s when we used to pay $3.99 to rent a VHS movie at the local video store for a single night? We couldn’t even imagine that price giving us lifelong access to our favorite film in a quality that surpasses what you would see in a neighborhood theater.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Oh also, while most sources say that The Naked Jungle was shot in and composed for 1.37:1, I'm seeing lots of headroom and titles restricted to the 1.85:1 section of the screen, which leads me to think this 1954 film may have been composed for widescreen and should mask quite well.
A favorite movie of mine from my childhood. It's a shame I never watched this movie in it's widescreen form.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Hondo seems to get a bit of praise, and IIRC, El Dorado is a loose remake of Rio Bravo (or is it the other way around?), but how can you go wrong with John Wayne *and* Robert Mitchum together? I previewed a bit of El Dorado, and it looks pretty waxy and lacking in grain to me. I seem to remember some criticism of the Blu-ray along these lines. Looks like this is the same source. Anyway, at $4 a pop it's kind of a no-brainer for me.
I don't know, but El Dorado looks fine to me, both on BD and digitally.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I cannot remember if you already picked up The Shootist during a previous sale. If not, I would really recommend this one. Along with Wayne in a very personal role, you get Lauren Bacall and Ron Howard. It's really a wonderful film.

EDIT: Looks like The Shootist isn't that good of a deal, as it's bundled with High Noon for $19. I do see that True Grit is only $4.99, though, and that would be a good one to pick up.
The Shootist has been $4.99 twice since December so if I was you, I would wait for a price drop later this year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Have THE SHOOTIST already. Thanks for the recommendation.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
If anybody is interested in watching perhaps Paul Newman's best acting performance, I would recommend "Hud".
I've never seen this one. Considering Newman's great performances in such films as Cool Hand Luke and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, this is high praise. Thanks for the recommendation -- I picked up both this and Hell is for Heroes. Paul Newman and Steve McQueen for under $8 -- what a great day!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davefromlondon