General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Would be interesting to see how much business they do at that $30 price point.

Obviously, it's not going to be appealing to many individuals (and couples?) w/out kids. But for a family of 4 to 5 (or more) who would normally see it during theatrical run, especially in markets w/ higher ticket prices (and used to paying $12-16/ticket)?

I wouldn't do it for Mulan, but I wasn't likely to see it in theater anyway...

IF I were running Disney though, I'd consider trying to price it somewhat differently for different markets: maybe $35 for a high cost-of-living city like NYC (where non-matinee adult tix exceed $16), $28 for nearby suburbs of such major cities and more modest city propers of other lower-cost areas, and $20 for more rural areas (say 40-plus miles from a major city).

_Man_

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Via Engadget: "Details on the release are scant, but we’re told that subscribers who pay up $30 to see it will get to keep it in their library as long as their subscription remains active."

That makes sense and is terrifying. Imagine having to pay to access a movie you purchased. I also think it'll be on Disney+ eventually anyway. Now, if the $30 included a Movies Anywhere code, this might make more sense. For now, I'll wait for more details.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Via Engadget: "Details on the release are scant, but we’re told that subscribers who pay up $30 to see it will get to keep it in their library as long as their subscription remains active."
If correct, this probably also means that if you cancel D+ and resubscribe later, you lose the purchase.

Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The only thing that makes that not pass the smell test for me - the movie will clearly become part of the Disney+ library along with everything else at some point. In that case, wouldn't your subscription give you access to it regardless if you had rented it or not?

Reactions: TravisR

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that makes that not pass the smell test for me - the movie will clearly become part of the Disney+ library along with everything else at some point. In that case, wouldn't your subscription give you access to it regardless if you had rented it or not?
About the only thing that I can think is that they'll keep a $30 price tag on it for a lot longer than they would have if it had had a normal theatrical release before putting it as part of the normal subscription.

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If correct, this probably also means that if you cancel D+ and resubscribe later, you lose the purchase.
Yeah, that's the terrifying part. Would you have to pay $8 a month to hold onto something you purchased? I hope that's not the case.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, that's the terrifying part. Would you have to pay $8 a month to hold onto something you purchased? I hope that's not the case.
But clearly, they don't intend this as a purchase, but a (albeit nearly indefinite length) rental, no?

What's not clear then is do you actually need to be a subscriber (and at least do a free trial) to rent it for $30?

Anyway, $30 for a long term rental that becomes essentially unnecessary several months down the line for any (essentially) permanent subscriber will likely be appealing to the masses. Just not (quite) so much for many of us here at HTF...

_Man_

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro