Digital Movie/TV Deals

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Great points too.

I’ve tried to balance out buying this way as well.

another way to go is to rent a title too. It may save a couple of $’s if your never going to watch it more than once.
I’m a big fan of renting too!

Amazon's "no rush" shipping option is a great way to accumulate digital credits to put towards free movie rentals. I have done this for numerous new releases (we stopped going to the movie theater long before this current pandemic), and I can then determine if I want to buy it later when the price drops.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Before I make a purchase now, whether it’s physical or digital, I try to make sure that it fits a couple loose requirements:

-Do I already own a version of this movie? If so, how often do I watch it? If it’s something that isn’t watched frequently, I will no longer upgrade for the sake of upgrading. (I had a couple titles that I watched once on VHS, bought and never watched the DVD, and then bought and never watched the BD. Time to stop buying that title - liking a movie once shouldn’t become a lifetime obligation.)

-Is the movie available at a good price, and am I buying it for the price or the movie? What a good price is depends on what the movie is, what format it comes in, etc., so there’s no one single rule for that. But there are lots of movies that go onsale for $5. If I bought every $5 movie just because it was $5, I’d still go broke.

-Am I in the mood to watch this tonight or within the next few days? If the answer is no, I generally will no longer buy. If a sale price or preorder notice doesn’t make me think, “I really want to see that now,” I wait. Things will go onsale again. And even if they don’t, paying a little more for one thing and watching it right away ends up being cheaper for me than buying a bunch of things and never watching them.

I’m also aware that my viewing habits have changed and that I no longer watch a movie most or every night of the week. It doesn’t make sense for me to keep buying at the rate I used to when I don’t watch at the rate I used to.

I’m sure I’ll miss out on some titles and maybe pay a little more individually than was absolutely necessary. But I think it’s better for me to buy what I use and pay slightly more per title than it is for me to buy tons of stuff at low prices that mostly remains unwatched.

There’s no one size fits all approach to this but I realized that if I don’t check myself, I’ll waste all of my money on “collecting” rather than “enjoying”.
Josh, I've spent far too much money on digital move purchases since I got my Apple TV last year... most of which I haven't watched. I'm going to print your criteria out and tape it to my Apple TV remote. It will save me a lot of money moving forward! ;)

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh, I've spent far too much money on digital move purchases since I got my Apple TV last year... most of which I haven't watched. I'm going to print your criteria out and tape it to my Apple TV remote. It will save me a lot of money moving forward! ;)
I definitely learned all of that the hard way - after upgrading a bunch of DVDs to digital HD and/or 4K that still aren’t being watched! :D

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Amazon's "no rush" shipping option is a great way to accumulate digital credits to put towards free movie rentals. I have done this for numerous new releases (we stopped going to the movie theater long before this current pandemic), and I can then determine if I want to buy it later when the price drops.
great point.

with digital movie buying my amazon purchases have been less and less.
I did buy the UK Blu ray of the 1969 Italian Job used via Amazon UK though.

thanks!

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
It’s funny that even before I bought the Apple TV 4K in March I previously had noticed that there is a lot of my collection that I didn’t watch.
for me knowing that I have it in digital gives me the comfort to sell the discs if I choose.

I’ve been paring down my physical discs as well.

apollo 13 is one I’ve struggled with.I live the movie when I watch it but I don’t watch it often. I watched it the most in vhs by far than the Dvd and the blu rays I have of it. Yet I’m still tempted by the 4k version. Same with E.T.

I never thought I’d sell my James BondBlu Ray set but I did last week. I bought the 4k 007 sets from iTunes this year. Everything is there in terms of extras and I won’t go back to the blu ray set again.

universal and paramount have made it a bit harder for parting with discs due to digital extras content.

anyway. Good discussion.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, the rest of us don't have twin babies to look after. :D
Conversely (or ironically?), the main reason I even got into this hobby back at the beginning of the DVD format was to have something to do at home while starting a young family w/ "Irish twins", haha... I did grow up loving the visual arts in general and movies (and TV) in particular, but never considered owning/collecting before that point (though I was certainly already a collector of other affordable, entertainment arts)...

Now, those "twins" are well into college age... though we still have a 13-yo... and of course, we all love movies to varying degrees... And my newly-22-yo firstborn even mused just earlier today how she seems much more exposed and knowledgeable about movies than all her peers, including many who are several years older (and get a kick out of that)... Yeah, I suppose she (and especially her "twin" brother) is being inadvertently groomed into a film snob of sorts... much like they already are w/ music, especially the violin, hahaha... well, that's the ongoing inside joke around our household anyway... :lol:

Yeah, I've grown a bit wary of collecting too much... but on the bright side, I'm also expecting to have more and more time on my hands to catch up on my huge backlog now that I seem to have (prematurely?) entered my semi-retirement phase (or so I rationalize anyway :lol:)... though I don't really want to just sit around watching movies all day everyday even as enticing as that could be...:D

_Man_

PS: I suppose I would be putting some kinda dent in my backlog IF not for all the (sometimes free) streaming service I've also added to my plate lately... :lol: but maybe that won't last...:rolleyes::wub:

Reactions: DavidJ

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
WB has made Just Mercy available as a free rental across all digital platforms for the month of June. I would highly recommend this to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
But is it commercial-free?

I (briefly) tried a "free" viewing of A Royal Affair on Crackle the other day and just gave up when the 2nd commercial break intruded. Maybe I've just become spoiled over the years, but these commercial breaks seem much worse and substantially more disruptive than I remember watching whatever on TV back when I was growing up... Seems like they need to time the breaks better to minimize the disruptive impact... but maybe not enough of their target audience care (enough)...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Picked up The Favourite in 4K on Vudu today for $6.99 (actually $3.99 after using my two $2.00 credits for streaming two Last Chance free movies at the end of April and May).

Reactions: Osato

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozovoz