What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (11 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I can’t help but think this may be another example of paramount holding a better master for their forthcoming digital service.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can’t help but think this may be another example of paramount holding a better master for their forthcoming digital service.
I wouldn't make that assumption as HBO Max at launch didn't use the same masters used for those movies released by Warner Archive on Blu-ray. It might happen in time, but, we just don't know right now.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I wouldn't make that assumption as HBO Max at launch didn't use the same masters used for those movies released by Warner Archive on Blu-ray. It might happen in time, but, we just don't know right now.

good information. Thanks!

I think it’s interesting that their 2 different transfers of the film. One on digital streaming and then another hd master that was used for the international Blu Ray.

the blu ray hasn’t been available in the United States and the blu ray transfer is not On digital for purchase either.

as I said very interesting. I wonder if the blu ray was from a 4k scan too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A couple of things I've noticed since I started purchasing a digital library several years ago. First off, bonus material is lacking except for certain and usually more recent titles. Secondly, the masters used for catalog titles might be older than the master used for the most recent Blu-ray release of catalog titles. It's really buyer beware when it comes to accumulating a digital library and even more so than doing the same with a disc library because at least with discs, you can possibly read some reviews before purchasing the disc.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
A couple of things I've noticed since I started purchasing a digital library several years ago. First off, bonus material is lacking except for certain and usually more recent titles. Secondly, the masters used for catalog titles might be older than the master used for the most recent Blu-ray release of catalog titles. It's really buyer beware when it comes to accumulating a digital library and even more so than doing the same with a disc library because at least with discs, you can possibly read some reviews before purchasing the disc.

Agreed. The information on the transfers for digital can be much harder to know before buying.

agreed on extras too.

I was spoiled by the Star Trek10 film set and the 007 sets on digital because they included essentially everything.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Interesting purchase this morning - 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street 4k bundle on iTunes through Cheap Charts For $10. What made it interesting was that they showed up in Movies Anywhere as HD titles. Checking further, they were also 4k at Vudu and Fandango Now. I hadn’t noticed any other case in my collection where Movies Anywhere had HD when it was 4K on the storefront (definitely seen cases where it goes the other way). Now I’ll have to go check.

edit: Found three others that show up as HD in Movies Anywhere after a 4K purchase on iTunes - Taxi Driver, Blinded by the Light, and Western Stars. Also redeemed Frozen in 4k at Vudu but it only shows up as HD in Movies Anywhere.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

I think it’s interesting that their 2 different transfers of the film. One on digital streaming and then another hd master that was used for the international Blu Ray.

the blu ray hasn’t been available in the United States and the blu ray transfer is not On digital for purchase either.

as I said very interesting. I wonder if the blu ray was from a 4k scan too.

I ordered a used copy of the Italian job 1969 Blu ray today.

there was a box set release of the film in the UK as well. Crazy.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
i haven’t looked. aside from this thread I usually only look when I get an email from my wish list on CheapCharts.

Tuesday always seems to be the busiest day.

Strangely, I have done the same. I don't look at CC anymore. I have been spending waaaay too much money on movies and I basically put those I really want on my Wish List and just wait for the notifications to roll in.

Of course, I keep a close eye on this thread as no bargain goes unnoticed here. :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Strangely, I have done the same. I don't look at CC anymore. I have been spending waaaay too much money on movies and I basically put those I really want on my Wish List and just wait for the notifications to roll in.

Of course, I keep a close eye on this thread as no bargain goes unnoticed here. :)

right and recommendations are always welcome.
I bought operation petticoat because of recommendations here. It wasn’t on my list.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hope I didn't miss out on too much of the party... though I have been liking the pricing for many of the classics I never owned, but have become more aware and appreciate of late... that I don't really wanna collect too much on disc going forward... as I do wanna keep my (generously approving) wife afterall... :lol:

Still, even at $5-6 a pop in many cases, it can be hard to pull the trigger... simply because I don't wanna quickly end up w/ yet another gigantic backlog of movies this time on "digital" (and the cumulative hit to the wallet) to go on top of my existing one... :eek::lol:

IF these sales continue to be frequently recurring (as seemed so according to Cheap Charts' data), I guess there's no real need to jump on any I don't feel sure enough at any given moment... And for any recent "must have" movies (and important classics, especially those that can make more use of the quality on discs), I'd still want the discs (which usually come w/ "digital") anyway...

But yeah, I've mostly been checking out all the various classics in the $5-6 "bin" and (making a wish list) looking forward to others eventually joining/returning to that bin...

:cheers:

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Before I make a purchase now, whether it’s physical or digital, I try to make sure that it fits a couple loose requirements:

-Do I already own a version of this movie? If so, how often do I watch it? If it’s something that isn’t watched frequently, I will no longer upgrade for the sake of upgrading. (I had a couple titles that I watched once on VHS, bought and never watched the DVD, and then bought and never watched the BD. Time to stop buying that title - liking a movie once shouldn’t become a lifetime obligation.)

-Is the movie available at a good price, and am I buying it for the price or the movie? What a good price is depends on what the movie is, what format it comes in, etc., so there’s no one single rule for that. But there are lots of movies that go onsale for $5. If I bought every $5 movie just because it was $5, I’d still go broke.

-Am I in the mood to watch this tonight or within the next few days? If the answer is no, I generally will no longer buy. If a sale price or preorder notice doesn’t make me think, “I really want to see that now,” I wait. Things will go onsale again. And even if they don’t, paying a little more for one thing and watching it right away ends up being cheaper for me than buying a bunch of things and never watching them.

I’m also aware that my viewing habits have changed and that I no longer watch a movie most or every night of the week. It doesn’t make sense for me to keep buying at the rate I used to when I don’t watch at the rate I used to.

I’m sure I’ll miss out on some titles and maybe pay a little more individually than was absolutely necessary. But I think it’s better for me to buy what I use and pay slightly more per title than it is for me to buy tons of stuff at low prices that mostly remains unwatched.

There’s no one size fits all approach to this but I realized that if I don’t check myself, I’ll waste all of my money on “collecting” rather than “enjoying”.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Before I make a purchase now, whether it’s physical or digital, I try to make sure that it fits a couple loose requirements:

-Do I already own a version of this movie? If so, how often do I watch it? If it’s something that isn’t watched frequently, I will no longer upgrade for the sake of upgrading. (I had a couple titles that I watched once on VHS, bought and never watched the DVD, and then bought and never watched the BD. Time to stop buying that title - liking a movie once shouldn’t become a lifetime obligation.)

-Is the movie available at a good price, and am I buying it for the price or the movie? What a good price is depends on what the movie is, what format it comes in, etc., so there’s no one single rule for that. But there are lots of movies that go onsale for $5. If I bought every $5 movie just because it was $5, I’d still go broke.

-Am I in the mood to watch this tonight or within the next few days? If the answer is no, I generally will no longer buy. If a sale price or preorder notice doesn’t make me think, “I really want to see that now,” I wait. Things will go onsale again. And even if they don’t, paying a little more for one thing and watching it right away ends up being cheaper for me than buying a bunch of things and never watching them.

I’m also aware that my viewing habits have changed and that I no longer watch a movie most or every night of the week. It doesn’t make sense for me to keep buying at the rate I used to when I don’t watch at the rate I used to.

I’m sure I’ll miss out on some titles and maybe pay a little more individually than was absolutely necessary. But I think it’s better for me to buy what I use and pay slightly more per title than it is for me to buy tons of stuff at low prices that mostly remains unwatched.

There’s no one size fits all approach to this but I realized that if I don’t check myself, I’ll waste all of my money on “collecting” rather than “enjoying”.

Great points too.

I’ve tried to balance out buying this way as well.

another way to go is to rent a title too. It may save a couple of $’s if your never going to watch it more than once.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Great points too.

I’ve tried to balance out buying this way as well.

another way to go is to rent a title too. It may save a couple of $’s if your never going to watch it more than once.
Amazon's "no rush" shipping option is a great way to accumulate digital credits to put towards free movie rentals. I have done this for numerous new releases (we stopped going to the movie theater long before this current pandemic), and I can then determine if I want to buy it later when the price drops.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks