Digital Movie/TV Deals

JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, I jumped in for a guilty pleasure of the Underworld set. Like others with the PP series (which I also got) I'm hoping for a 4k upgrade across the board. Two are already 4K.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Except the Apple TV app on Roku (and Fire TV) does not provide access to any extra features or Dolby Atmos (it is limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 on Roku).
I'm kinda anticipating they'll eventually add DD-plus and Atmos support as well as the extras... although Roku access to extras aren't that important to me, especially since they should still be accessible some other ways. Also, I still plan to buy and keep discs (as long as they're available and affordable enough) for most movies I care quite that much... and they will presumably have most, if not quite all, the extras... Much of the content of interest to me like various classics and catalog titles not easily available (at least cheaply) on Blu-ray probably don't benefit quite that much from DD-plus or Atmos anyway while some others qualify for Movies Anywhere (so there are other additional options including Vudu)...

The Roku app hasn't been around that long yet, so will have to wait and see.... but if not, I suppose I could eventually consider getting an AppleTV STB for the HT.

_Man_

Last edited:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Anybody (like me) who was waiting for a good price on the Pink Panther/Peter Sellers Collection at iTunes, now is your chance! It includes the first 6 PP films for $19.99. That's $3.33 each!
Man, stuff like this is so tempting! It's a great deal on really funny films. I've embraced Digital lately, especially through Apple TV since I got one last fall. But you still have to be careful.

After years of collecting discs (a few I've still not watched), I don't know if it makes sense to accumulate a big digital library either. I bought the deluxe Panther DVD set a long time ago for much more $. Watched them all once. I'm not dying to watch them today, so it's that decision of "do I spend money on stuff I won't watch for a while" vs. "do I stream/rent/buy new things now & when I absolutely must watch 'whatever movie title' I'll just stream/rent/buy it then". Even if the price is higher later, I can use today's cash for today's watch.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I tried one today. Fellowship of the ring. It didnt load have any extras.

it did show up on iTunes as the extended version even though mine disc was the theatrical. there was no extras on iTunes.

I’ll see if there are other titles that may work.

I did also try batman the movie 1966 but it was not eligible.

I have a lot of paramount discs and if I want those on digital iTunes makes the most sense.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Man, stuff like this is so tempting! It's a great deal on really funny films. I've embraced Digital lately, especially through Apple TV since I got one last fall. But you still have to be careful.

After years of collecting discs (a few I've still not watched), I don't know if it makes sense to accumulate a big digital library either. I bought the deluxe Panther DVD set a long time ago for much more $. Watched them all once. I'm not dying to watch them today, so it's that decision of "do I spend money on stuff I won't watch for a while" vs. "do I stream/rent/buy new things now & when I absolutely must watch 'whatever movie title' I'll just stream/rent/buy it then". Even if the price is higher later, I can use today's cash for today's watch.
I’m doing the same with my discs and
collection.

agreed it’s not perfect.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
it did show up on iTunes as the extended version even though mine disc was the theatrical. there was no extras on iTunes.
Fellowship Extended absolutely does have extras on iTunes

I have a lot of paramount discs and if I want those on digital iTunes makes the most sense.
You're talking about D2D them? Just know that Paramount titles won't transfer to iTunes...

Reactions: Osato

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Fellowship Extended absolutely does have extras on iTunes

You're talking about D2D them? Just know that Paramount titles won't transfer to iTunes...
thanks for the information.
I was aware on paramount.

interesting that the fellowship extras did not show up on iTunes for me.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Just to make sure - you are using iTunes through Apple TV and not something else like Roku?
correct. The purchase was on vudu. Then it shared to iTunes with movies anywhere.
This was a disc to digital vudu purchase for $2.
Playback was on iTunes 4k Apple TV.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Italian job 2 film set and oceans trilogy.

1969 Italian job is a different master than the overseas Blu Ray. This compared on my viewing and a review of the blu ray. They noted a clean picture but this is not the case with the digital version.

oceans trilogy included just 1 extra feature for the sequels. Interesting.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Typical for Universal.... But Invisible Man does have extras on at least Vudu and Movies Anywhere.
Plenty of Universal films have extras. Here’s just a few examples

All the Fast And Furious films.
All the Jurassic Park films
Us
Get Out
Split
Glass
The Hunt
Emma
Yesterday

the list goes on and on......

Reactions: Osato

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I went back and forth all day yesterday about duplicating a digital purchase for films I already owned on Blu-ray...

However, in the end, I ended up buying THE PETER SELLERS COLLECTION

It was such an incredible deal of 6 films for $20. And, it's much easier to watch it on the go or on the whim without having to load a disc into the player.

Reactions: Tino

Thucydides

Grip
Real Name
Shane
I noticed Erich von Stroheim's Greed is available on iTunes. Anyone know when it came back? I remember it was available years ago but then disappeared for the longest time.

Anyway, Greed was never released on DVD or Blu-ray for some reason. It's $10 on iTunes and I recommend getting it in case it disappears again.

Reactions: Suzanne.S

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I noticed Erich von Stroheim's Greed is available on iTunes. Anyone know when it came back? I remember it was available years ago but then disappeared for the longest time.

Anyway, Greed was never released on DVD or Blu-ray for some reason. It's $10 on iTunes and I recommend getting it in case it disappears again.
It's only in SD.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Italian job 2 film set and oceans trilogy.

1969 Italian job is a different master than the overseas Blu Ray. This compared on my viewing and a review of the blu ray. They noted a clean picture but this is not the case with the digital version.

oceans trilogy included just 1 extra feature for the sequels. Interesting.
here’s the review of the disc that I compared with the digital version I bought. I do not own the disc..

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe950626