Digital Movie/TV Deals

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I don’t know if that d2d thing would be useful to me.
Do those things get migrated anywhere?
Also I doubt they get the 4K upgrade at Vudu or anywhere.
Answered that a few posts above - if it's a MA title it will migrate to all MA services. Vudu does not do 4K upgrades at all - that's nothing unique to D2D conversions. You are correct though that they would not upgrade at iTunes.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Perhaps the Vudu service is dead and gone with the Fandango purchase?
I just double checked for you and if you follow the link I posted it should absolutely work on your iPhone...

vudu.com/disc

(Try typing that into address bar rather than clicking link)

First screen looks like this - hit "convert disc"

2579E093-4272-433F-9D8D-C4D5371E238E.png

Second screen brings you to this page to make sure all system settings are correct for it to work (hit "convert disc" again: 20CF0588-C5A1-4DFA-ADFB-ABDE47446FD8.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Osato

Chip_HT

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chip
Disc to Digital still works. However it doesn't get along as well with Apple products. I think you have to go through the website on a browser there instead of the actual app.

Disney isn't part of it, and the majority of Fox titles have been taken out of it too. So the selection is going down, but there's still some good stuff to find in there.

DavidJ

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am trying to learn from the early days of DVD's, when discs could be purchased online dirt-cheap. I bought a lot of stuff I probably didn't need back then. By setting some rules for purchase that I will not break, it has helped me from doing that again during these really low-priced digital sales.
I'm also trying to do this, but I do occasionally break my own rules. I'm trying to be more selective, but I am still collecting a larger than I’m comfortable with group of unwatched titles.

I do find the digital versions of TV shows to be a lot more convenient to watch than the disc versions, as there is no need to keep track of where we left off watching, plus we have a tendency to watch these shows in more than one room, while film viewing is pretty much reserved for the main home theater. I think my days of buying TV shows on disc are pretty much over.
TV is so much more convenient on digital, but I wish Apple would automatically play the next episode.

• Agreed
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Correct - D2D is done via a mobile browser not app. If the movie is MA compatible it will migrate out to all your connected services.
There used to be an iOS app for it (and I used it for a handful conversions), but they retired it some time ago -- forget when exactly...

And yeah, the list of eligible titles always seemed smaller (or maybe less up-to-date) via their mobile app than regular website... though their regular website required actual disc access instead of UPC input IIRC...

Been a while since I last (successfully) converted anymore...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
TV is so much more convenient on digital, but I wish Apple would automatically play the next episode.
Actually, I prefer that they do not auto play the next episode. However, the Apple app on Roku pops up a dialog box to play the next episode, and will play that episode automatically if you do not press the exit button during the credits. I like the way the Apple TV 4K box handles it, though, without the auto play feature.

Having this be a selectable option would be the best solution, IMO. That way each person could have it work however they desire.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Nope. Hopefully once the UHD is released.
just curious what universal titles do have digital extras?

back to the future doesn’t have any either.

many of my universal titles were imported to iTunes via movies anywhere.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
just curious what universal titles do have digital extras?

back to the future doesn’t have any either.

many of my universal titles were imported to iTunes via movies anywhere.
Are you talking about recent movies or catalog titles? Unless the movie is a recent theatrical release, many of the catalog titles won't have extras. Most of my recent Universal movies that are in my digital library do have bonus material. Not so much with catalog titles.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Too many to list.
Another thing, is there isn't a filter in which you can just search Universal titles. There isn't a studio filter on iTunes, Vudu or MA. Somebody correct me If I'm wrong about that. You can filter your library search by genre, year, alphabetically or recently purchase, but, not by specific studio.

Edit: I did find a studio filter on Vudu, online using my computer.

DavidJ

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Having this be a selectable option would be the best solution, IMO. That way each person could have it work however they desire.
Absolutely, that would be the best. There are times when I want it to auto play like is common with streaming services or the Play All function on a disc. One of my ways of dealing with insomnia is to start something playing hoping I eventually drift off and the auto play would be helpful there or in other situations where I’m using a show for background noise.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Didn't think I'd ever start collecting DCs other than those that come w/ disc purchases and a modest amount of Vudu D2D conversions (mainly for the kids), but the overall situation has changed enough now that I actually find myself carefully reconsidering on a case-by-case basis going forward.

Of course, I also thought somewhat similarly about 4K UHD discs as recently as 1-1/2 years ago, but now...

So yeah, that's why I'm checking over here lately...

One curious thought is which will actually grow faster/more in my collection: 4K UHD discs or HD-or-better DCs.

And not sure what everyone else does to manage the mix in a collections database, but I just started using disc placeholders in DVD Profiler and catalog numbering my actual DC purchases (only the ones w/ higher quality than whatever discs I might also own) to distinguish them as such -- I use a basic catalog numbering system that separates the 4K UHD discs (#1-1000), BDs (#1001-10000), DVDs (#10001-100000) and now also these specific DCs (#100001-plus)... although I might eventually phase out the DVDs as I collect more of all the other formats.

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
And not sure what everyone else does to manage the mix in a collections database, but I just started using disc placeholders in DVD Profiler and catalog numbering my actual DC purchases (only the ones w/ higher quality than whatever discs I might also own) to distinguish them as such -- I use a basic catalog numbering system that separates the 4K UHD discs (#1-1000), BDs (#1001-10000), DVDs (#10001-100000) and now also these specific DCs (#100001-plus)... although I might eventually phase out the DVDs as I collect more of all the other formats.

_Man_
I created two separate media types within DVD Profiler -- Digital Copy and 4K Digital Copy. I then download the disc profile that most closely matches my DC, edit the media type and then lock that setting. Right now I have all the digital copies in a separate collection list labeled "Digital Copy", but now that I have so many titles in this category I am considering just merging them in with the discs in my library under "Owned".

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Are you talking about recent movies or catalog titles? Unless the movie is a recent theatrical release, many of the catalog titles won't have extras. Most of my recent Universal movies that are in my digital library do have bonus material. Not so much with catalog titles.
thank you. I appreciate the clarification and your response.

I haven’t purchased any new film release universal titles yet.

DennisBassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Yep, that did it.
Unfortunately not for me. I tried all of the links listed by a few of you and always get a 404 error. I tried typing in the url directly for vudu.com/disc and get an error. I tried typing in video.walmart.com/disc and it brings me to the screen giving the rates, but no ”button”
to scan. I have an iPhone X running iOS 13.4.1

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Unfortunately not for me. I tried all of the links listed by a few of you and always get a 404 error. I tried typing in the url directly for vudu.com/disc and get an error. I tried typing in video.walmart.com/disc and it brings me to the screen giving the rates, but no ”button”
to scan. I have an iPhone X running iOS 13.4.1
Google "Vudu mobile disc to digital" and click the very first link.

Or go to Vudu - My Vudu - Disc to Digital.

They're not hiding it, guys ;)

DennisBassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Google "Vudu mobile disc to digital" and click the very first link.

Or go to Vudu - My Vudu - Disc to Digital.

They're not hiding it, guys ;)
I do not know what I may be doing wrong, but I have typed in every url, followed every link and googled it. I never get to the screen where I have an option to scan or provide payment. I have a vudu account and I am signed in. Has anyone tried it with an iOS device running 13.4.1? Are there certain permissions that I must enable? Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahulbnmeka