Digital Movie/TV Deals

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Scott (and all),

Question.

These movies are available on iTunes. Not all Paramount is, but most of their catalog is available.

Is it just Vudu is treated as a separate infrastructure so these kinds of sales are limited to their distribution?
Ron,

Think of iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, etc. as separate storefronts to purchase films. Each storefront has its own transfer of the film on its servers. Some studios participate in a system called Movies Anywhere, which will propagate purchases of films from those participating studios to your digital library at each participating storefront -- you have separate digital libraries at each storefront where you have an account. Unfortunately, Paramount, MGM, Lionsgate and some other studios do not participate in MA. So, anything purchased from one of those studios will only be available in your digital library of the storefront in which it was purchased.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Scott (and all),

Question.

These movies are available on iTunes. Not all Paramount is, but most of their catalog is available.

Is it just Vudu is treated as a separate infrastructure so these kinds of sales are limited to their distribution?
No, Paramount isn't part of MoviesAnywhere which is why Paramount titles bought on either Vudu or iTunes will not show up on the other like a Sony, Universal or Fox title. The same with most Warner titles.

Reactions: Osato

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Word of caution, do not buy that "Spartacus" HD digital for $4.99 thinking you might get a free upgrade to 4K from iTunes. The poster art that Bill Hunt posted doesn't indicate it will be available digitally. The same with "Jaws" which hasn't been discounted on iTunes. Looks like "Jaws" might be coming on June 2nd.
so jaws, airplane!, and back to the future do not buy for the 4k upgrade later?

All are on my radar.

thanks!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Airplane could upgrade to 4k, right? It's Paramount and generally, you get a 4k upgrade.

I don't think that's the case with Universal titles.

Then again, I am the newbie here.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I seem to have it on DVD (I looked it up), part of a McQueen box set. Never saw it. Will buy it on digital right now.

Probably will also buy THE UNFORGIVEN and THE BIG CLOCK. Thanks.
Man, I love "The Cincinnati Kid" as there is a line of dialogue in that film from Edward G. that is a classic line for me. You'll know it when you hear it. Yes, Ann-Margret is very sexy in that movie.

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
American Psycho seems to be hesitant buy for me. So many mixed recommendations on whether I should buy or not. It's only $5 so it's not the money but rather I could it towards another selection.
I got it, without hesitation. What people don’t always understand, which Scott pointed out, is it’s a comedy, if extremely dark. I’ve seen it at least five or six times, but it kind of fits into my sentiments.

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
so jaws, airplane!, and back to the future do not buy for the 4k upgrade later?

All are on my radar.

thanks!
You just have to be careful because Universal and Sony has released some movie titles on 4K disc, but are not available in 4K digitally. Airplane is a Paramount title.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I got it, without hesitation. What people don’t always understand, which Scott pointed out, is it’s a comedy, if extremely dark. I’ve seen it at least five or six times, but it kind of fits into my sentiments.
I actually have this movie in my collection.

It was sent to me on DVD when I did reviews way back when. I don't think I ever opened it. So, if I am curious, I always have that copy to fall back on.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
There are two options on "DVD Profiler" that I never used and wished I did from the beginning. One is noting my purchase price on every disc and the second is noting the last time I watched that disc.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
You just have to be careful because Universal and Sony has released some movie titles on 4K disc, but are not available in 4K digitally. Airplane is a Paramount title.
paramount doesn’t upgrade their films to 4k on iTunes?

thanks for the post.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
paramount doesn’t upgrade their films to 4k on iTunes?

thanks for the post.
I didn't say that! As Paramount has upgraded several of their titles to 4K on iTunes. I mentioned Sony and Universal that have sampled not having certain titles available in 4K on iTunes. The movie "Stand by Me" is one example.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I didn't say that! As Paramount has upgraded several of their titles to 4K on iTunes. I mentioned Sony and Universal that have sampled not having certain titles available in 4K on iTunes. The movie "Stand by Me" is one example.
And just to add onto this to make sure it's clear for newbies - while Sony and Universal and Paramount might not have certain titles available on 4K on iTunes as Robert said, if they did upgrade in the future your copy would upgrade with it.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
upload_2020-4-7_10-2-55.png

Both, "Jaws" which is coming out on June 2nd and "Spartacus" have the same type of preliminary cover art with no mention of "Digital" on it. I noticed that on Bill Hunt's site.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mansibtani