Digital Movie/TV Deals

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Robert,

Is CHISUM any good? Never saw that one.

I have really enjoyed the John Wayne movies you have recommended, however, up to now I hesitated to say that I really did not like 3 GODFATHERS and I know that will not be a popular opinion. It could have been one of John Wayne's best movies and I was really enjoying it until it became "Three Men and a Baby." It also got a bit religious, which fits into the mold of the era, but I found a bit too heavy-handed.

Basically, that's the only John Wayne movie I have seen so far that I didn't enjoy.
Wow, I didn't expect that reaction. I know now, not to recommend any movie with any religious tone to it. That is the reason why I watch "3 Godfathers" every Christmas season. Anyhow, as to "Chisum" it's another Wayne movie I actually watched the first time in a movie theater. It's an okay western, but is far from my favorite Wayne movies.

Reactions: DavidJ and Tino

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ace in the Hole
All About Eve
The Apartment
Doctor Zhivago
Dog Day Afternoon
East of Eden
The Magnificent Seven
Marty
Night of the Hunter
Patton
The Philadelphia Story
Raging Bull
Rebel Without a Cause
Sunset Boulevard
The Third Man

Thanks, Cranston. I have every single one of those titles on disc, sans THE APARTMENT, which I just purchased

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow, I didn't expect that reaction. I know now, not to recommend any movie with any religious tone to it. That is the reason why I watch "3 Godfathers" every Christmas season. Anyhow, as to "Chisum" it's another Wayne movie I actually watched the first time in a movie theater. It's an okay western, but is far from my favorite Wayne movies.

Yeah, I was actually very concerned about expressing my opinion on that film.

I like my John Wayne movies to be more gritty. However, I totally understand and accept that this is a side of Wayne that audiences didn't generally see.

I will hold off on CHISUM.

Keep the recommendations coming, though. 99% of the time you are spot on. It's going to be impossible for us to agree on every title, but you have excellent taste and I come to rely on it for my purchases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, but have you watched any of them?;) I'm just kidding as I know you watched some of them.
I have the James Dean set. Haven't watched a single film.

Everything else, sans THE APARTMENT I have seen.

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, DOG DAY AFTERNOON, MARTY, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, ACE IN THE HOLE and THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN really stand out on that list.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I was actually very concerned about expressing my opinion on that film.

I like my John Wayne movies to be more gritty. However, I totally understand and accept that this is a side of Wayne that audiences didn't generally see.

I will hold off on CHISUM.

Keep the recommendations coming, though. 99% of the time you are spot on. It's going to be impossible for us to agree on every title, but you have excellent taste and I come to rely on it for my purchases.
Actually, you're the first person I ever met that didn't like "3 Godfathers". You may like "Chisum" as it's grittier than "3 Godfathers".

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, you're the first person I ever met that didn't like "3 Godfathers". You may like "Chisum" as it's grittier than "3 Godfathers".
I was ready to hear that. I knew I would take some friendly ribbing.

I loved the first 45 minutes of the film. I was thinking this was one of the best Wayne films I had seen. It had a great start, a chase across the desert, directed by John Ford and in Technicolor. Just when it got to the baby, the film totally lost it for me. However, I completely understand why people would love this film. It's such a different kind John Wayne we are witnessing here.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I was ready to hear that. I knew I would take some friendly ribbing.

I loved the first 45 minutes of the film. I was thinking this was one of the best Wayne films I had seen. It had a great start, a chase across the desert, directed by John Ford and in Technicolor. Just when it got to the baby, the film totally lost it for me. However, I completely understand why people would love this film. It's such a different kind John Wayne we are witnessing here.
There is a reason why the movie is named "3 Godfathers" as that should have given you a little hint.:P Have you seen "The Cincinnati Kid"?

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Chisum came right after True Grit in Wayne's filmography, and for many it was a step down in quality from it.
It was for me, but it's an entertaining movie. Another thing about that movie is that for some reason when that movie came out I thought it was Peter Duel playing Billy the Kid, but instead it was his younger brother Geoffrey. I think I thought that was because of Duel's TV series "Alias Smith and Jones"

Below is a picture of Peter Duel:

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Will they transfer over to iTunes?

Thanks for that information.

I have THE TRAIN on Blu-ray from TT. Have not seen THE BIG CLOCK or UNFORGIVEN. If you recommend either highly, I will purchase
No, they won't transfer over to iTunes as they're Paramount movie titles.

I do recommend "The Unforgiven" and "The Big Clock".

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Those are Paramount titles, so they will not transfer via Movies Anywhere.

Scott (and all),

Question.

These movies are available on iTunes. Not all Paramount is, but most of their catalog is available.

Is it just Vudu is treated as a separate infrastructure so these kinds of sales are limited to their distribution?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat