What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (4 Viewers)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
From what I would guess about the new airplay feature on rokus would work the same as it would work on Atv.
It just finds the device, you hit the button and it shoots the signal over to the roku.

Oh now I noticed you said public WiFi.
Is there no way to get private WiFi there?
Not sure I’d use public WiFi for this.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
From what I would guess about the new airplay feature on rokus would work the same as it would work on Atv.
It just finds the device, you hit the button and it shoots the signal over to the roku.

We only are at the place 2-3 weeks at a time, twice a year. The remainder of the time we rent it out. So, while it is possible for us to pay for our own WiFi, it doesn't make financial sense to do so. The public WiFi and basic cable TV are included in our monthly association dues. In fact, the only utility that we pay for separately is the electric service.

Hopefully the iTunes app will eventually get added to Roku devices. Until then, I have plenty of titles in my library that are accessible via Vudu, plus Amazon Prime, TCM and the NHL, to get us by on our visits. I could bring down my Apple TV 4K instead of a Roku, but it's more difficult to take that device out of my main HT equipment rack than just taking the Roku from the TV in our basement recreation room, which is what I do now.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Gotcha. Not sure Airplay will help me in our South Carolina condo. I do have an iPad, but not sure how that will work communicating with the Roku on the public WiFi in our complex.

Believe it or not, you don't need any wi-fi for AirPlay to work. It creates a direct connection between the 2 devices - sort of like a proprietary Bluetooth.

My apartment building has a theater room with an Apple TV connected to a projection screen, and I'm able to stream my iTunes movies from my iPhone to it even though there is no wi-fi in that part of the building.

https://www.cultofmac.com/282209/airplay-longer-requires-wi-fi-network-ios-8/

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Believe it or not, you don't need any wi-fi for AirPlay to work. It creates a direct connection between the 2 devices - sort of like a proprietary Bluetooth.

My apartment building has a theater room with an Apple TV connected to a projection screen, and I'm able to stream my iTunes movies from my iPhone to it even though there is no wi-fi in that part of the building.

https://www.cultofmac.com/282209/airplay-longer-requires-wi-fi-network-ios-8/
Will it work that way with a Roku, though?

Sorry, but this is probably getting the thread too far off-topic.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Will it work that way with a Roku, though?

Sorry, but this is probably getting the thread too far off-topic.

I would assume so as being able to do that is the point of AirPlay (as opposed to just allowing you to connect over wi-fi or bluetooth), but I guess I can't answer that...

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
iTunes just put a whole slew of Christian Bale movies on sale for $4.99 each, presumably to promote the upcoming release of Vice. I was unaware that there was a TV movie (theatrically released in Europe) of Treasure Island from 1990 starring Charlton Heston, directed by Fraser Heston. The preview looks pretty decent, I may have to give it a try. I think I might also grab A Midsummer Night's Dream since it also doesn't have a Blu-ray counterpart.
Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 4.03.09 AM.png

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
This is not a "deal" but thought I'd post that a few of the Republic Pictures restorations by Paramount have been made available for rental and purchase in SD and HD. Both iTunes and Amazon have two great Republic Trucolor westerns available: THE OUTCAST (directed by William Witney) with John Derek and HELLFIRE (directed by R.G. Springsteen). The quality is excellent. Other Republic/Paramount titles are FLAME OF THE ISLANDS with Yvonne DeCarlo, THE ATOMIC KID with Mickey Rooney and a number of John Wayne films.

Paramount has previously made available some George Pal sci-fi films upgraded to HD like WAR OF THE WORLDS and WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE. These titles and some of the newer Republic upgrades are only available to stream and have not been released on physical media yet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
iTunes just put a whole slew of Christian Bale movies on sale for $4.99 each, presumably to promote the upcoming release of Vice. I was unaware that there was a TV movie (theatrically released in Europe) of Treasure Island from 1990 starring Charlton Heston, directed by Fraser Heston. The preview looks pretty decent, I may have to give it a try. I think I might also grab A Midsummer Night's Dream since it also doesn't have a Blu-ray counterpart.
View attachment 56457
Thanks. I picked up the 4K version of American Hustle for $4.99. Great deal!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This may apply to Canada only, but the Indiana Jones collection is available on iTunes for $23. Individually, they're $20 each.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Most of what I’ve read say it’s just as great as the theatrical.

I’ve only seen the theatrical and it’s brilliant in my mind.

The Criterion has all three versions.
That’s what I have.

My guess would be that if you like theatrical you will also like the long version but it might not hurt to check out the topic if we have one on the criterion long version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most of what I’ve read say it’s just as great as the theatrical.

I’ve only seen the theatrical and it’s brilliant in my mind.

The Criterion has all three versions.
That’s what I have.

My guess would be that if you like theatrical you will also like the long version but it might not hurt to check out the topic if we have one on the criterion long version.
I didn't realize there were three versions. I've never seen this film in any version. Now, I'm kind of curious about it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One thing to remember is if you see a deal that you initially like, jump on it. A week or so ago, I found the HD series sale price for Veronica Mars at $19.99. That's a great price for three seasons, but I had the DVDs and thought I might put in a couple into my 4K player and see how well it upconverted them. After a couple of days, I decided I wanted to take advantage of the sale for the look and the convenience of having them at hand. Lo and behold, the price had jumped back to $49.99!

So learn my bitter lesson: pounce on sales that you like ASAP!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Favourite (2018) is $9.99 on iTunes in 4K. This is a MA title so it does propagate to Vudu as an UHD title too.

High Society HD $4.99 on iTunes that ports over to Vudu also in HD.
White Hunter, Black Heart HD $4.99 on iTunes that ports over to Vudu in HD.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. Tons of Eastwood films on sale for $4.99. Most are MA too.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
"Sorry, Wrong Number" is a title I've never seen on sale at $4.99

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation240
    Recent bookmarks