digital input to receiver or analogue input plus A/D/A = same?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by PaulDA, Jun 2, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I started a thread about different DACs a while ago and though the posts were interesting and informative, I've re-read it and not found an answer to the question posted in the subject heading.

I'll restate it in proper English here: Is using the digital connection from a player (CD or DVD) to the receiver the same as using the analogue input from that player to the receiver and then applying A/D/A to that input? I'm not interested in which is better, as I'll decide for myself. But if it is indeed the same, as I intend to use my receiver to allow the sub to be active in two-channel playback, then I would consider a CD player solely on its merits as a transport. If they are not the same, then I would consider a player based on its sonic characteristics after some serious auditioning.

2. Andy_Steb

Andy_Steb Stunt Coordinator

Sorry but your post is confusing.

But if it is indeed the same, why wouldn't you consider a player based on its sonic characteristics

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

The answer to your question(s) is:
    It is not the same.

4. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

If you need bass management and speaker distance adjustment you should also consider whether the player or receiver is most capable.

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    The receiver is more flexible, but adds a layer of A/D/A to accomplish BM/TA. The players I'm considering apply a fixed crossover (80hz) for hi-res and TA for DVD-A. There appears to be no affordable machine (sub 1000$CDN) that applies TA on SACD. I don't know why that is and my search for answers on this have been fruitless. As I consider my options, I will use the players for what I can, and in the case of M/C SACD, if the TA issue becomes problematic, I'll rely on my receiver.