Digital Input Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Jan 4, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

1. Ok, will the normal red rca jack from my DVD player be able to plug into the Digtal Input from my Cable Box?
    2. If I plug a red rca jack from the digital cable box to my reciever's normal non-DIGITAL jack (aka rec input) will I still get sound?
    Thanx.

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Abel,

1) The red (or white or yellow for that matter) cable will work for digital coax connections. How well is subjective.

2)No, plugging a digital output into an analog input will get you nothing.

You can get a coaxial to toslink converter from Parts Express. Part # 180-960 for about $14. That should work for you. I hope that helps.

Dan Hine

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

4. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Bob

I agree with you. The red RCA jack should be part of a pair

of analoq output jacks. All DVD players should have a digital & optical output for DD/DTS.

5. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hey guys,
    Abel posted the same question in the TV and Projectors area and there it seems he was more asking if the "type" of cable will work for digital coax connections, which it should. No? If I'm wrong please help me understand. Thanks. [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've been using a regular composite video cable for a digital coaxial for a year, no problems.

but you need to go from digital out to digital in, going from an analog (red or white) to a digital, or from digital to an analog won't work.

a coax-> toslink seems pointless unless your receiver doesn't have coaxial digital ins.

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I suggested the coax-toslink converter b/c in Abel's other thread he mentioned that he has 3toslink inputs and only one coax input. Both his dvd player and digital cable box output through digital coax. It was posted in the TV and Projectors area so I understand how it could be missed. [​IMG]
    Dan Hine