What's new

Digital fixes on old TV shows (Grrrrr!) (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
It seems that if it's easy enough, sometimes they will "correct" mistakes on old TV shows. I know a few shows well enough to notice that a special effects or revealing mistake is no longer there.

The 2 examples I have found are:

The Brady Bunch: "Two Petes In A Pod" Final season. In the first split screen effect where Peter meets his look alike. They both come up into frame and for a brief moment, the nose of the double (the double for Chris Lookingland that is supposed to be covered by the split screen in the final shot)invades the split screen so for a second you see the tip of a disembodied nose. For the DVD, a digital fix was done and the mistake is no longer there.

I Dream Of Jeannie: "Have You Heard the One About the Used Car Salesman" forth season. Jeannie is mad at the crooked car dealer for trying to cheat her so Jeannie blinks up a mess for his live commercial. When the car dealer tries to show a car by opening the door, it falls off. When the door falls off, you can see a hand and wrist shift in the back seat behind the gap of the front seat and doorway. This is the guy that is supposed to knock out the rest of the car doors when the car dealer walks in front of it. On DVD, they paste over the gap with a freeze frame before the hand starts moving. On this fix, you can notice a slight jiggle in the area as the camera movies due to the lineup not being perfect.

Has anyone noticed fixes like this on old TV shows they know?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Those are some good observations. I never noticed them before.
There is another Jeannie blooper I can think of but I don't know if it was digitally fixed. It concerns Jeannie and her sister Jeannie II in the same shot, and you can see the stand-in's disembodied toe for a second when Jeannie plops down on the couch. I don't recall the episode title at this moment, though.
On Bewitched season 3 they edited out a white sphere used for an split second during a magic effect when Samantha conjures up a tankard of ale for Ben Franklin. Don't know why they did that? Probably thought it would make a smoother transition without it.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Yeah, I remember you or another person mentioning that. I'll have to see if I can find what you are talking about with Jeannie and her sister (she was in quite a few episodes).

But it's funny about those 2 "fixes" I found. I was always used to seeing it the old way and miss the mistakes. I wonder who gets the idea to go and do these little fixes while other mistakes are left alone.

It must be a combination of catching the mistake and if it is simple to fix.

I just thought of another fixed mistake on Jeannie. It was in "Jeannie and the Great Bank Robbery". Jeannie naively ends up helping crooks rob a bank at night. The (back lot) exteriors of the scene are in daylight, while the inside of the bank shows night outside. They obviously forgot to time the daylight scenes to look like night. On the DVD, they do correct this mistake as well.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Dark Shadows is another one. One of the actresses flubbed her lines on camera. They didn't do retakes back in the '60s so it stayed in. When the show was transferred to dvd, the people doing the transfer thought they would be helpful and edited out the blooper. Fans were upset. That was part of the charm of the series: sets falling apart, actors flubbing lines, etc. They don't want companies to tamper with the series.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
these are things that would have been "fixed" if digital tweaking was an option and if the shows weren't under and extreme deadline. While it is sad that these little goofs are erased, it probably allows the guy who couldn't fix them to finally have a good night's rest after all these decades.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Peter was played by Chris Knight and it was Mike Lookinland (no "g") who played Bobby. Just had to pick at you because you said you knew the shows so well. ;) :P

Nice observations, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks