Digital Coupons at BestBuy.com - Great or WOW deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kim, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I've noticed on Best Buy's website their current digital coupon for two upcoming movies:

1. Pre-order Ocean's Eleven and receive a $10 digital coupon.

2. Pre-order The Others and receive a $5 digital coupon.

I'm curious...these seem like great deals. But upon closer examination, are they even BETTER than what they seem?

To elaborate - the website states that if you preorder either movie, they'll email you the digital coupon. What I failed to find is what price Best Buy charges for the movie.

Currently, the pre-order price for Ocean's Eleven and The Others is $19.99. I'm very familiar with Best Buy price listing - they'll almost always change the price of new releases the Sunday before Tuesday-release day. For example, for both mentioned films, I'm sure that Best Buy will reduce these prices to ~$16.99-$17.99.

Does anyone with Best Buy's digital coupon experience know what Best Buy charges on your credit card? Is it the higher price listed long before the Sunday before Tuesday-release? Or is it the final, lowered release day price?

Either way, this seems like a great deal from a reputable dealer.

2. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Peter,

This does seem like good deal -- thanks for the heads up on this. I was wondering if you would mind providing the link for this offer? It would be much appreciated.

Deborah

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I have an email from BB that states if you preorder an item that has a lower price on the release date you will be charged the lower price. That sounds fair. I haven't had any experience with this yet.

One thing about the preorder deal for $5 coupon is the shipping is about $5, so it's not really a great deal. The $10 off would be a deal, I think. I did this for Harry Potter and I'm waiting to see how it turns out.

4. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

These deals are not bad if in fact they do lower the price if the price is lower upon release date than 19.99. However, I am not sure this is in fact what they do....I thought I have heard they make you pay the 19.99 price no matter what. These titles can be expected to sell for less than that the week they come out in Best Buy and other stores so that is why I hesitate to do this.

About the shipping charges.....is this an offer that you have to do online? Meaning there is no way for me to go to Best Buy preorder these titles for in store pickup and still get the digital coupons?

-Eric

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

OCEAN'S 11 $10 digital coupon
    THE OTHERS $5 digital coupon
    2 things...pre-orders are NOT available for store pickup. Subsequently, shipping charges (.99 per order) and order charges ($1.99 per item) will apply.
    More importantly -
    After combing through the fine print, I was able to find this blurb (specific to Ocean's 11):

6. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

7. DeborahK

Peter,

Thanks for the links.

Deborah

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Also, since preorders cannot be picked up at the store, you are charged $0.99 for shipping and $1.99 for an "order charge" so your $10 coupon goes down to $7. Plus BB rarely has the lowest price - that's usually CC or Fry's and are usually $1-$3 cheaper. So I guess you still net a $4-$6 savings for Oceans Eleven, which isn't bad. But for The Others it might be a wash, and you don't get Instant Gratification as you have to wait for it to be shipped.

Bottom line: I've preordered Oceans, will buy The Others from a B&M on release date (loss leader)

9. DeborahK

On the other hand, for people like me even a wash might be a good deal. I have yet to find a CC convenient to me that ever has more than a handful of DVDs, and the nearest Fry's is quite a distance from me -- not worth the trip just to pick up The Others, IMO. Best Buy is noisy and crowded, and with Tuesday releases having to drive out there after work on the only night I actually watch a bunch of stuff on television is also more hassle than its worth to me to save a buck or two. So, as long as I don't mind waiting a couple of days to get it (I don't) this still works out to be a pretty good deal, I think. [​IMG]
    Deborah

10. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Preordered Ocean's 11. Thanks for the heads up! Oh, and they do tax you, so this is going to be $2.98 over the regular price you would pay in the store. Still a savings for O11, but the Others would get very close to a wash. I can't say if you'll have it on release day or 3 days later, either.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dang Deborah! You gotta get on the Westside! There's 3 Best Buys on my way home from work, all of which are nice (okay, the West LA one on Pico is just decent), and all of which are stocked to the gills with DVDs! The Circuit City in Westwood isn't bad, and the Fry's is near the Greatlands Target that my girlfriend and I like to frequent. That's why I pause at getting things online now unless I get a great deal, as I have a bevy of B&Ms to choose from within a 10 mile radius.

12. DeborahK

Hello, Carlo, fellow Angelino!
    I used to live in Santa Monica and do get to the Westside on an almost weekly basis, but going now on Tuesday night is a real pain for me. If I passed a Best Buy on my way home from work as you do, no problemo. But I think I have a better deal than you in terms of commuting -- I live two blocks from my office, so I just walk back and forth. You would be amazed how much longer a car lasts (to say nothing of one's inner peace) when you don't have to commute every day! [​IMG]
    For the record I am willing to drive almost anywhere within reason for a really good deal . I stopped by the Pasadena Best Buy (on Foothill) last night so that I could pick up the OOP Dances With Wolves set from Orion for $24.xx, for example. But when the on-line deal and the buy-in the-store deal are pretty much the same? I'll save myself the agravation of a Tuesday night drive any day! BTW, I would never have bought The Others this way if they had not offered the electronic GC -- without that it would defnitiely not have been worth it.
    Thanks for all the B&M info, tho'. I didn't even know there was a CC in Westwood, as Westwood is a place I never go if I can avoid it! Might have to check that one out. The one on Sepulveda never has a thing. I have been to the Westwood Best Buy and may I say they couldn't have picked a more out of the way and bizarre location for that one. The two BBs I use most are the one on Pico and the smaller one in the Culver Center on Washington.
    BTW, where is the Greatlands Target? The only two Targets I am familiar with on the Westside are the one at La Cienga and Rodeo and the one on Jefferson and (can't remember the name of the street) in Culver City.
    Deborah

13. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Many thanks to Carlos for resuscitating this thread. I've actually forgotten about these releases along with the digital coupons...Note to Self - set default on HTF profile to list topics older than 1 day. [​IMG]
    DeborahK and Carlos...how is Target in LA? I ask, since here in their home state of MN, their dvd selection is abysmal (e.g., never carried the OAR version of Willie Wonka, or for that matter, many other OAR version of dual-format releases. Additionally, they seem to be near-sighted - they rarely carry reissued catalog titles, e.g., The Usual Suspects SE).

14. Brad Eisenhauer

Brad Eisenhauer Stunt Coordinator

Okay, so the Ocean's 11 disc is gonna cost $3 more than it would in the store (assuming they only charge you the release-week price,) plus whatever I use the coupon on later is gonna cost me $3 more than it would in the store. The real value of this offer is now down to $4 (a $1 loss on The Others,) plus you have to wait for BB to ship the items. I think the instant gratification is worth $2 a shot. [​IMG]

15. DeborahK

Hi, Peter,

I actually have not used Target to buy DVDs. I always look at them, but I seem to buy some where else. I have noticed that there seems to be some lag-time on them getting new DVDs in -- I am not sure that every Tuesday you can count on the L.A. Targets to have the new releases -- at least not the ones I frequent.

HTH,

Deborah

16. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Target caters to J6P (at least the ones in Michigan) and new releases are hit and miss. However, you can find some decent titles that were only released in OAR at a good price.

The only new release I have bought from them was Apocalypse Now Redux ast fall where they had the best price for it.