What's new

Digital Copy only in wmv format? (1 Viewer)

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
I have a bunch of my blu-ray with the extra Digital Copy DVD, but when I entered the code it spit out two version of the same movie, different sizes but both in wmv format. I was hoping I count get something I could put on my itouch or iphone.

Is this the only format they give you these digital copies in?

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
It depends on the title. Dark City was that way, but all the rest of mine have had both WMV and iTunes. (Admittedly, that's my only New Line title; the rest are Disney, Fox, WB, and Universal, I think.)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Oswald Pascual

Pretty useless feature. I think it will go away.
I'll have to agree with you on that one.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I hope it goes away, then the price may come down a few dollars and studios can come up with something else to use as a gimmicky selling point.

To answer Oswald's question: Out of curiosity, I looked at the Digital Downloads for a couple movies I bought and I had a choice on all of them of WMV or m4p (if I remember correctly). I downloaded one in each format and didn't see much difference in quality as both were hideously compressed, but tend to look ok on a small device like my ipod. But since I don't watch movies on my ipod, I deleted the movie and didn't bother downloading any more.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it will likely go away as well. However, while they are providing this "feature" they should realize that of the people who will be watching it on a portable device, the majority of them (and the market data supports this) will be on an Apple device of some sort, whether it is an iPod, iPod Touch or iPhone. Plus, isn't mp4 a better compression CODEC than WMV (hence better quality at less or comparable sizes)? And Apple seems to have this DRM thing down pat with iTunes so I wouldn't think there's a security issue here...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks