digital connections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaryC, Jul 31, 2001.

1. CaryC

CaryC Auditioning

What type of video connections have to be made to a digital tv from a dvd player or a digital dish or any other digital video source that converts to analog in order to display the source? Is there a digital video out as well as audio? Is this something you need to use a component video for? Thinking of buying a digital tv and any input/info would be mucho appreciated!
    Thanx

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I'm a vidiot but I thought the so called digital TVs are not truly digital when it comes down to representing the actual picture. The picture is projected in the analog domain albeit at a higher resolution than a 'standard' TV. IIRC, what mfgs. call 'digital' TVs are TVs with a HD tuner built in, o/w they call them 'digital ready'. To represent a HD picture, you would hook up the TV with the HD inputs, usually the component connection.
    Hope this is right; if not, I'm sure someone will correct me.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

3. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

It depends on the set but typically s video and component video cables are used. DSS will use S-video and DVD players use s-video and/or component video. If you have a progressive scan DVD player and a digital tv, then using the component video cables will give you the best picture because of the progressive scan feature.
    Digital audio is carried out either via a toslink optical cable or a digital coax (RG-6 video cable works fine).