1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

digital connections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaryC, Jul 31, 2001.

1. CaryC

CaryC Auditioning

What type of video connections have to be made to a digital tv from a dvd player or a digital dish or any other digital video source that converts to analog in order to display the source? Is there a digital video out as well as audio? Is this something you need to use a component video for? Thinking of buying a digital tv and any input/info would be mucho appreciated!
    Thanx

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I'm a vidiot but I thought the so called digital TVs are not truly digital when it comes down to representing the actual picture. The picture is projected in the analog domain albeit at a higher resolution than a 'standard' TV. IIRC, what mfgs. call 'digital' TVs are TVs with a HD tuner built in, o/w they call them 'digital ready'. To represent a HD picture, you would hook up the TV with the HD inputs, usually the component connection.
    Hope this is right; if not, I'm sure someone will correct me.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

3. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

It depends on the set but typically s video and component video cables are used. DSS will use S-video and DVD players use s-video and/or component video. If you have a progressive scan DVD player and a digital tv, then using the component video cables will give you the best picture because of the progressive scan feature.
    Digital audio is carried out either via a toslink optical cable or a digital coax (RG-6 video cable works fine).