Digital Connection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scotty Gad, May 28, 2002.

1. Scotty Gad

Scotty Gad Auditioning

I am a newbie, and just bought a Kenwood HTB504, and I was wondering how much of a difference the digital audio (optical) makes rather than rca audio. I know the rca is analog and the optical is digital, but what does the digital cable provide. Thanks alot

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That's a home-theater-in-a-box system, isn't it? I assume you have a separate DVD player?
    If you want to listen to Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 in its native format, you need the digital connection. Analog left and right connections will only give you a stereo signal. It won't make that much difference if the DVD has only a 2-channel track, but if it has a 5.1 track, the player will downconvert the 5.1 channels to 2-channel before sending it through the analog connections. With a digital connection, the player sends the 5.1 track as recorded for your receiver to decode.
    If you haven't already done so, I recommend spending a little time with our introductory FAQ, A primer for Home Theater Newcomers.
    M.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are using only stereo analog, then you are completely missing out on true, digital 5.1 sound.

If you are using 5.1 analog outs to the receiver's pre-amp inputs, then you are getting basically the same thing, though most receivers do a better job of the decoding than the internal decoders of many so equiped DVD players, but that will depend on the quality of your receiver vs your DVD player. Eventhough this is an HTiB, I would still say to use optical or coaxial digital (basically the same thing, different connection type).

4. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

What RCA are you asking about? The analog uses the seperate left and right signals which do not pass digital, but there is a PCM connection (which is an RCA connector) that pass the 5.1 signal. It functions the same as the Toslink (optical) connection. There are a lot of opinions on which is better but I would suggest conveinence. If you have a spare RCA lead around then go ahead and use it for the PCM signal although I would suggest getting a digital RCA interconnect.

Bill

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul