What's new

Digital Coaxial vs. Toslink Optical (1 Viewer)

BillyJClark

Auditioning
All,

First, I have really learned a lot while sifting through some of the various threads that I've found in this forum. What an awesome site (I only wish I had found this site when first built my HT, instead of now)!

My question is.....after relocating my DVD player (closer to the monitor, farther from component cabinet-A/V receiver), I am going to have to purchase a long (5 maybe 6M digital audio cable). My local "cable" store has recommended a custom length digital coax cable, based on it's more accurate reproduction of sound. However, would the optical cable provide good 5.1 sound, and suffer less signal loss (I was under the impression that fiber optic cable lost alomst zero signal, even at great lengths, due to the way it works).

I am connecting a Phillips DVDR985 to a Yamaha RX-V595a pushing 4 B&W 602s/B&W center/Paradigm sub (obviously no audiophile quality sound needs to be reproduced here, but if it would make a difference......)

Any advice, suggestions, concerns, would be much appreciated. Also, if this has already been covered, I apologize, but I couldn't seem to find much discussion on this topic in my searches.

Billy

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
You have to flip over to the slower searches that generates more results. It seems like you have a specific enough question in this case to avoid a locked thread, but this is covered heavily in other places and in the faq.

The simple answer is, in your case coax would be better, because a fiber optic cable of that length would be more expensive. Just get a well shielded composite video cable in that length would be my suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks