What's new

Digital Coaxial output amplifier (1 Viewer)

SpencerT

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
I currently have a dvd player connected via coax digital audio to a Yamaha Amplifier. Some of the films are loud and most are low (tried different dvd players also) . Is there an amplifier to increase the input to the amplifier to increase the input in the coax of the amp?

thanks in advance

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I doubt seriously that it's the dvd player or digital coax cable. The player sends the full signal to the receiver/amp, where it takes control. Try a different dvd player. If same thing happens, the problem is with the Yamaha.

I'd also double check the speaker connections, to make sure the phase is right (+/-), with all of them, at both ends. The phase being wrong can cause lower volumes on that speaker(s), I think, but then it would be constant, and not loud for some and low for others.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some films are loud and some are low? Could be difference between DTS and Dolby? Have you calibrated your speakers? Maybe there is a separate calibration for DTS and Dolby (like Harmon Kardon's).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The digital coax is a digital signal. There is no "amplifying" a digital signal. The culprit is probably calibration of the receiver and speakers. Your speakers have to be set so they are all putting out the same volume. If they aren't calibrated, the surrounds and mains can be louder than the center, which will drown out the dialog, making the dialog seem too low. List the model number of the Yamaha and we can tell you how to calibrate it.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Also check the DVD player audio setting, make sure it is set to "bitstream" not "PCM".

What are your speaker size settings, did you check levels with a sound meter?

Also realize that DVD will often have a different average volume compared to TV channels, for example, there is greater dynamic range. The average volume for say the dialog might be rather low to give headroom for very loud effects sequences. That's what the volume knob is for, you'll sometimes have to turn it up compared to normal TV. The dynamic range can be reduced by "midnight" / "late night" mode settings if the explosions get too loud after the volume has been raised to hear the dialog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks