Digital Coax

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Derek.Schauland, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Derek.Schauland

Derek.Schauland Auditioning

I am a bit confused. I want to connect my DVD player (Pioneer DV-414) to my Receiver (Pioneer VSX-812) using digital coax for audio... however when I connect the two with a Monster digital coax cable, I get no audio from the DVD player.

Are there any settings that need to be changed? I am not using component video (just the usual RCA for video)

Thanks

Derek

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    On my old DVD player, I had to turn on the digital output and select the proper one (optical or coax). Also, on my receiver, I had to select the appropriate digital input.

-Robert

3. Derek.Schauland

Any thoughts on where I might find the user manual for the Pioneer DV-414? I looked online and it wasnt listed as available.

I am trying to see if the unit needs a setting changed for digital coax

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I tried looking up your manual on Pioneer's website, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. :scratch-head-smiley:

If your DV-414 is anything like my DV-333, I didn't have to change any settings on the player to get the digital output to work.. IIRC. I did have to go into my receiver's settings and specify that I wanted the DVD input to use the digital connection, however. What sort of receiver do you have?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not only on the player, but also in the receiver you may need to configure the source input to use the coaxial digital input instead of analog or optical.

6. Derek.Schauland

I have a Pioneer VSX-812 receiver... I didnt see anywhere in the setup there to specify dig. coax for dvd...

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

On your receiver you should have settings for the coaxial-digital inputs that looks something like:

PCM/bitstream
    DD

My guess is since this is the first time you are hooking things up, your receiver is expecting "PCM" which is what a CD player will put out. Change this to "DD" or even "Auto" if you have that option.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your receiver may not have the ability to assign digital inputs, so you need to look either in the setup menu or manual to find out which input it is permanently assigned to.

The receiver will not have settings for these, these are set in the player, because the player determines the type of stream sent to the receiver. With either PCM (stereo only) or bitstream (normal DD/DTS) setting, you should be getting sound however, which means either the output on the source or the input on the receiver is incorrect.

9. Edwin Tan

Edwin Tan Auditioning

You've got to assign the digital input as follows:
    1. Assuming you're using "DVD/LD" for your DVD connection
    2. If you've hooked up your coax cable to Coax Digital 1, you don't need to change anything
    3. If you've hooked up to Coax Digital 2, you've got to change the settings, assigning this input to "DVD" (default is "CD").

Read up Chapter 6 of your manual.

Of course, with your player, you've got to activate digital output under initial or audio settings.

See if it helps.

Cheers.