Digital coax????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jodie, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Jodie

Jodie Auditioning

I finally received my new Home Theater Direct Level III's and would like to change from the rca cable connection from my DVD to Denon 1601 receiver, but my DVD only has digital coax instead of optical. Do I have to buy a $50 digital coax cable or will any 75 ohm video cable with an rca jack work. Thanks for the help.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Really, any cable with RCA connectors on each end will pass the signal, but you're right in saying that any 75 ohm composite video cables will work just as well as a dig coax.

3. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

For the most part, special "digital coax" cables are marketing ploy. They are really no different than a well-shielded, 75-ohm RCA video cable.

4. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Agreed. One - there is no such thing as an "rca cable." RCA is a connector type, not a cable type. Two - there is no such thing as a "digital cable." We don't call coax an "analog cable" when it is carrying an analog signal. Some manufacturers call a cable "digital" simply to indicate that it meets the standards recommended for digital audio interconnects - namely, 75 ohm coax. So, any 75 ohm coax will make a perfect interconnect for digital audio.
    ------------------
    http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/theater.htm

5. Jodie

Jodie Auditioning

Thanks for the help.

6. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

What a marketing scam "Digital Coax" is. This kinda stuff pisses me off.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

As soon as I started seeing "digital coax" cables at my local Radio Shack, I knew that they must be better than the crappy old analog cable I was using before.
    So I replaced all the "analog" coax cable I had been using for all my digital and cable TV connections. Even replaced the TV cable that went out to the outside of my house.
    Let me tell you! For sound, the improvements were fantastic. The mid-range was more defined and transparent. The highs were a little more laid back but "crisper" (hard to explain). And the bass tightened up immensely.
    For video, the blacks were blacker, and I got more resolution between color changes on the TV screen.
    I can't wait until 24 bit/96 kHz coax cable comes out!
    Just kidding... [​IMG]
    ------------------

8. Duane M Davis

Duane M Davis Stunt Coordinator

Duane Davis
    If I can help it, I use RG6 coax instead of common RG59 coax, especially for video connects. It's still cheaper than "Digital" cable.
    ------------------
    "Would you like to play spider with me?" ~Spider Baby

9. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Digital rated coax is completely different from analog audio or video transmission cable. A true digital coax cable has a specific length and number of electron nodal points in its center conductor and shielding braid. The optimal length and nodal count is required to precisely match the data bit rate to the quantal storage capacity of the cable. Otherwise the system can't exactly fill the cable with data bits. If the cable is too long or the nodal count too high, the cable will be underfilled yielding data voids along the length of the cable. Bits may then shift around in the gaps. If the cable is too short or its nodal count too low, there won't be sufficient room in the cable for the data bits to all fit. One problem means data dropouts the other overruns but either dramaticly degrade the data stream. Your preprocessor or receiver may hide some of these losses and overruns using its error recovery and data buffer, but your soundfield will intermittently collapse and expand yielding an unnatural breathing quality to soundtracks and music. Regular RG6, RG59, audio cables, and especially coat hangars cannot meet these requirements.
    As we move to multichannel 24/96 data streams, there will be a need for new digital cables to supplement ones matched to the older 16/44 data rate. Cables which are currently nodal matched to 16/44 will not have the appropriate length and nodal count to accomodate the higher data rates. That's why good connectors on the cables are a must. They need to withstand repeated disconnect/connection as you switch from 16/44 digital cables to 24/96 stream specific cables when you go from one type of disc to another. BTW, I don't understand why equipment manufacturers insist on keeping the digital connectors on the back of equipment. It would be a lot easier to switch cables with each disc if the connectors were on the front panel of the players and receivers.
    I would use only true digital rated cables for digital audio connections. Anythings less means you have seriously shortchanged your equipment. After all, you spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on your gear and it makes no sense to distort the data integrity with a cheaper cable. For just $800 you can pick up two nodal and length specific digital rated cables (one for 16/44 and one for 24/ 96 data rates). That's a smart investment in my book.
    In a later topic, we'll cover the use of ordinary table salt solution to improve the bit stability of of DVD's. The orderly crystalline structure of salt can prevent bit shifts on the DVD surface before they enter your playback chain.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD
    [Edited last by Guy Kuo on October 10, 2001 at 08:10 AM]

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

11. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

[​IMG] Guy is a funny guy. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Luke
    [Edited last by Luke_Y on October 09, 2001 at 11:02 PM]

12. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Guy,
    As I was reading your post, I was expecting a signature at the end identifying the originator to be one of those "high end" retail cable companies. Assuming that's not the case, they should hire you as a marketing manager [​IMG]
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

13. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

So.... do you want to place an order? [​IMG]

14. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Guy:
    Knowing your background and having the AVIA test disk, I was really worried for a second. It wasn't until I got to the coat hangers that I realized what was going on. (OK, so I'm slow!) I am ready to order, though, because $800 seems pretty reasonable for a set of cables that can do all that! I have just one question....how long are they?
    SMK

15. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Plus, if you act now, we'll include the Brooklyn Bridge at no extra charge!!

16. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Like all other cables, digital cables have two possible lengths.
    a. 2 inches too short
    b. 5 feet too long

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Guy- There's an idea for a company:
    Custom length cables.
    I can envision the lack of "spaghetti" behind my rack now...
    ------------------

18. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

>In a later topic, we'll cover the use of ordinary table salt solution to improve the bit stability of of DVD's. The orderly crystalline structure of salt can prevent bit shifts on the DVD surface before they enter your playback chain.<
    Sorry, Guy,
    this old myth of using "any" salt has to be stopped. The orderly crystalline structure of salt is properly found ONLY in the non-iodized variety.
    Marty

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Marty- Ahhh, but if you're into "organic" foods, and "free range chicken" kind of stuff, you have to go with gourmet "sea salt" !
    Gets you a more natural sound to your DVDs and CDs...
    ------------------