What's new

Digital Coax - RCA cables? (1 Viewer)

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
I've been reading the forum with great interest of late as I recently picked up the Sony 5ES receiver and can now hookup optical or digital inputs from my dvd player.

Now I read that some prefer the robustness of the Coax cable but my question is, the regular RCA type connector cables, are those useable in this situation? I get confused, as is pretty easy! when I hear them called by different terms.

Don't want to muck about with the cables without checking with you knowledgeable folks.

This isn't a debate on which is better, fiber optic or coax but just finding out whether SPECIAL cables are required to go the coax route. Right now I have a fiber optic, not a special make, but seems to do the job for now on my Sony 560 dvd player.

Thanks,

G2

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
You can use composite video cables, but steer clear of the regular audio interconnects. Digital is meant for 75 ohm termination and audio cables do not provide that.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I use regular audio cables for digital coax on one of my systems and they work fine. They are more prone to interference though, I have experienced dropout in certain situations using regular audio cables and when I switched to 75ohm video coax everything was fine. So now in one system I use cheapo 75 ohm coax cables that I got at a hardware store for $7.50 each. They kick ass. On the other system I use megacheap audio cables and don't have a problem.

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,

So does this mean you can use RG6 with RCA adapters, like I did for my subwoofer? I use the optical cable from my Playstation2 because my Toshiba DVD only has digital coax out.

I guess I will have to try it when I get home. I learn something new every day here.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Well hooked up both optical and coax and with my remote I can switch between the two and after listening to several sources I don't hear any differences, odd...but I might just stay with the wire verse optical, as the optical can become fractured more easily....

Thanks guys!

G2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks