What's new

digital coax or fiberoptic (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Which one is the better of the two cables. Monsters packaging says that the fiberoptic is better. But some people have told me that the coax makes a better (tighter) conncection.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
In my opinion optical is better. With wire you will always have the possibility of EFI (Electro-Magnetic-Interference). With optical EFI is impossible. The downside to optical is that they are pricey and fragile. If you put too much of a bend in one you are likely to break the fibers.

I would go with optical.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is basically no difference in sound. I prefer coax, and EMI is not a problem with a good cable. I've been using coax for years with no interference of any kind. If you don't have anything to generate EMI or RFI in large ammounts near the cable, neither is an issue. If it was, it would already be an issue for your other analog connections.
Tight connection? RCA is a more positive connection than optical, but tightness really doesn't make much difference to a digital connection.
Optical cable is not expensive at all, they can be had for as little as $9 for a 3ft cable, but they ARE fragile.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Can Open, Worms Everywhere. :D But IMHO I have used both and noticed no difference whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks