Digital Coax/Composite for Audio???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wyatt_Y, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

In rearragning and upgrading my HT setup, I find myself needing additional cables:

Longer single subwoofer cable - I have a high quality, 15' Digital coax cable that I'll never use for anything...will this work for that purpose???

How about composite cables (2 audio-red/white & 1 video-yellow) - can I use two good composite cables to carry 5.1 analog audio signals???

Thanks for any help!!!

Wyatt

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You’ll probably get sound from it, but those aren’t optimal. And I have to wonder why you even ask when you have a perfectly good 15’ coaxial cable lying around! [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,

I am completely revising my HT setup...and comparing new interconnect needs to the excess cables I have on hand.

Thanks for the subwoofer answer!

I also need a set of 5.1 interconnects and a set of 7.1 interconnects - and I have several of the three cable 'AV' (Red/White/Yellow) interconnects laying around...and two of them would take care of a 5.1 interconnect need - if the yellow connector (intended for composite video) can be utilized in the audio role.

If using the composite-intended conductors for audio (maximum 6' runs) will have negative effects, then I'll only use the audio conductors out of the set and/or purchase new interconnects.

I'm trying to use up various cables I have on hand where I can do so without degradation....

What about the three conductor component video cables as audio interconnects..???

Thanks,
    Wyatt

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The conventional wisdom is that it’s fine to use video cables for audio, but not the reverse.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhhh.. those are not always 3 video cables.

Yellow - This is a video cable and it will work well for a coaxial-digital connection. This cable is what the designers had in mind when they came up with the connection spec.

Red/White - These CAN be video cables, but are often made with 50 ohm coax. While this wont do any harm, people who have used 50 ohm audio cables by mistake for coaxial-digital noticed the sound would drop out, just for a second, every few minutes.

Does this help?