What's new

Digital Coax Cables (1 Viewer)

Before I spend the money on another high priced cable, please help me understand what my choices are.

Is a Monster audio cable better?
Is a component video cable still better?
Is a marketed digital cable the best?

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
George,

What the heck are you asking? I don't understand your question.

Are you trying to compare analog audio against component video against digital cable? That would sort of be like comparing a BMW M3 against Dole bananas against current mortgage rates. . .

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Any well-shielded 75-ohm cable will be more than sufficient. Video cables should be 75-ohm. I would not spend big bucks on a digital coax cable.

M.

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
George,

If you have a component input on your TV, projector or display then yes it will give you the highest quality video input.

For audio, if you have either digital coax or optical in on your receiver or Pre-Pro as Michael mentioned any 75 ohm will be fine. No difference in quality of sound from coax or optical.

IMHO a good quality cables do help IF (very big if) you have the equipment to justify it. Your video and audio is only going to be as good as the weakest link. There are so many variables (cables, components, electrical noise in your home wiring etc...) that it's impossible to say absolutely yes or absolutely no if good quality cables are worth it.

Cheers,

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Is a Monster audio cable better?
Is a component video cable still better?
Is a marketed digital cable the best?
Monster is a bit overpriced priced all else being equal. They rarely provide any meaningful specs. They are best at marketing though.
Better than say s-video...a little. If your system takes it then go that route.
75 ohm is 75 ohm (by and large). You'd be looking at either a solid or stranded center conductor made of copper. The former tends to give a slightly more uniform 75 ohm impedance while the latter is more flexible. However bend any of those cables sharply such that you introduce a permanent kink and you may have problems such as ghosting.
None have to cost much unless you want them to for whatever reasons. A/V patch cables work quite well in most situations but they're not very sexy looking. Vince Maskeeper of HTF, whom I've never bought from, is said to make good quality cables using material that far exceeds the capabilities of equipment. Nice knowledgeable fellow.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
A standard Monster Audio cable may not be 75 ohms, which is a necessity for a digital connection, but not for an analogue audio connection. This is due to the frequency of data that is going down the cable. At audio frequencies (relatively low) the impedance of the cable is different than at high frequencies (video or digital audio).

Thus, my ratings of the above choices are in the same order that you have them, worst to best. (ie Monster will be the worst), 75 ohm video and marketed digital will be equal best.

Make sure it is a true 75 ohm cable and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks