What's new

Digital Coax Cable for Unbalanced Interconnects? (1 Viewer)

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Just got a Rotel RMB-1075, it's currently mated up to a Marantz SR7300 but that will be replaced by a Rotel RSP-1066 in a few weeks.

I'm currently using digital coax cables (AR Pro Series) as interconnects honestly because it's all I had on-hand when my 1066 got here. What I'm curious about is if this is a good choice or not given the wire core. They have a solid 99.97% pure, oxygen-free, copper center conductor wil 95% copper braids and 100% aluminum Mylar foil shielding. I compared these to a set of AR Pro Series stereo pair, they are almost the same but feature a twisted pair multistrand core instead of a solid one. Which is better to use for connecting my pre/pro to the unblanced amp input?

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on some good interconnects for the unbalanced line in if my choices are poor.

I'm fairly savvy with HT components but I never stopped to think about these interconnects.

Thanks!

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Huh...AR also makes interconnects made specifically for 5.1 setups (5 cables, color coded for easy hookup)and they are much like the composites except have a heftier 22 gauge 99% twisted pair...seems like that's almost like having a twisted pair of the solid core digital coax. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks alot guys!;)

mackie

Supporting Actor
Go to the tweaks section and read about cables. It kind of boils down to copper is copper and conducts electricity the same weather is braided, solid, stranded, twisted...

You can even make good quality DIY cables by using RG-6 cable, but make sure it is solid copper and not the type with an aluminum center.

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator

I think you are mixing up HTF with AVS forum. ;) That's what the "experts" claim in AVS, copper is copper and digital is digital.

mackie

Supporting Actor

Damn! You're right. I get confused so easily. I keep forgetting superior copper acts superior with superior electrons. It gets really bad when you let cables cross each other, lay on the floor, and don't use the green marker on your CD.

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I wasn't so much trying to understand which is better as much as which is commonly used for unbalanced lines...I did get my head spinning thinking about all of this though.

I do work in the computer field so I know a bit about cables, attenuation, etc. But it's easy to start over-thinking.

I appreciate your input and I think I will just A/B some cables but I'm sure I won't find any actual perceivable difference.

Either way I'm happy with the system.

mackie

Supporting Actor

Man, that's the truth. There's so much BS in this hobby it's hard to sift through it sometimes. Some of the marketing that goes on is Trula amazing. Reference some scientific principle even if it's not accurate to say something has better performance. I know I've fallen prey to this more times than I care to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks