Digital coax and DVD question.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric Stuckey, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

If I am running a digital coax from my dvd player to my reciever, will it play all of my disk sorces threw the coax or do I need a pair of reg sterio cables so I can listion to cd's?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Eric: You should be fine. All recent models of receivers should be able to auto-detect the digital signal type and handle it accordingly.

I do know that some older Denon's needed an analog signal in order to use some of their DSP modes (such as Mono Movie.) But the last couple of generations can work with analog or digital...

3. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Thanks Chuck. I have a Denon avr-3802 reciver. I wasent sure if I need to hook up cable from the PCM output just to listion to sterio cd's or would the digital coax pass that signal.

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

The digital coax output will work well for cd sound.
    Which to use would depend on where the best DAC is located. Most pre/pro and avr's will usually have the better dacs (digital/analog convertors).
    If the AVR has better DACS then use a digital coax cable. If your DVD player has better DACS then use analog audio cables. If you have some spare cables try both and use the one that offers the best sound to you.

5. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Not 100% sure about your Denon, but with my Sony 2ES this is the case:

If you use equalization in your receiver, use the digital connection, this will eliminate another "generation" of a/d - d/a conversion.

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

FWIW, the Denon does not convert 2 channel analog signals back to digital if is it is played back as 2 channel. The tone controls for the Denon are analog...