Digital Co-axial compare

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seeba, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Seeba

Seeba Auditioning

Mar 22, 2002
    I need some advice, the shop near my home has only coaxial digital cable of Monster - 40$ (USA) , Recoton 12$ (made in china) another odd named italian make and possibly Radio Shack (china made) - do you recommend the more expensive Monster or since it will carry digital it doesnt matter !

also what about S-Video compares

thanks in advance
  2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999
    I would use a cheap 75 ohm video cable from Radio Shack or elsewhere for digital coax. If that works fine stick with it! That's my recommendation.
  3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    Youve got it! Because of the digital nature of the signals, the coaxial digital cable is not usually where you want to spend money. A lot of people make their own with CATV coax (which is the required 75 ohm impedence) as Philip said.
    SVideo Cable: Here is where my advice is different.
    Your eyes are much more sensitive/important than your ears. They can see small imperfections/artifacts. So I think you should invest in a decent video cable whenever possible.
    It's a requirement in my opinion, to buy good video cables if you have odd requirements, or a "sensitive" system. A basic system would be:
    - Display size less than 40/50 inches
    - Display is ordinary TV, not HDTV
    - Cable run length is 6-10 feet
    For the basic system, I usually recommend AR brand/Radio Shack. When you violate one or more of these, then a better/more expensive cable can make a visible difference.
    To avoid the $$$, you can order SVideo cables from the various on-line sites (,, or try EBay for cables made with "Belden Brillance" coax. These sites tend to use materials that the production studios use, but without the overhead that drives Monster brand up in price.
    Hope this helps.