Digital cameras & Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff Perry, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Jeff Perry

Jeff Perry Stunt Coordinator

I want to buy my wife a digital camera for Christmas, and I'm really hoping to find one with Bluetooth - would be great if she could just get near her computer and download everything wirelessly.

Is there such a product?

If not... any recommendations for good digital cameras without Bluetooth?

Thank you!

-Jeff

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I haven't heard of any with Bluetooth yet. Canon's Powershot is highly recommended for about $500.

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I have the Canon Powershot - the real small one. Size was the #1 priority for me.

Funny you should mention Bluetooth. I don't know of any yet but I was just cursing my camera and flash card reader for being USB. USB is too slow - transferring 100 or so pictures is a drag. Especially after moving 5 albums to an iPod via Firewire in seconds... A camera with Firewire...I'd be interested in that!

4. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Depending on your budget, Canon now had a digital Rebel!

This may be kinda off topic, but I really want that cam. [​IMG]

5. Jeff Perry

How about the tiny hard drives? Any cameras supporting those yet? My budget isn't unlimited, but neither is it small. (I'd like to keep it under a grand)

Good call on the USB, Patrick. I didn't even think about that, but you're right. Very slow. And, I just did some research... seems Bluetooth is only ~100-400Kbps. Way too slow.

6. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

Yes, Bluetooth would be very slow. Actually it works great for the photos taken by my Nokia phone, but those are low resolution compared to a regular camera.

Do cameras come with USB 2 or Firewire yet? If not, why not!?

Even my Canon DV camera, with Firewire out for the video, has a plain USB 1.1 connection for any digital pics taken with it. Lame!

Sucking down hundreds of photos via USB 1.1 takes minutes (oh, the horror!) I am hoping that I the PC Card adaptor for my Microdrive works with my please-Apple-hurry-up-and-ship-it Powerbook. That ought to run faster than USB.

7. Jeff Perry

Graham, how do you like the Microdrive? Any problems/issues with it? How's the power draw - does it suck your batteries down fast?

I found the camera I'm going to buy for her. Sony DSC-F828.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/

[​IMG]

8MP, takes memory stick and compactflash. My Sony miniDV camera takes the same batteries, so we can share when we're on trips. Oh, and USB 2.0!! w00t. [​IMG] Now I just have to wait for it to be released in November... Although, you know, it doesn't come with a memory card. $1200 for a camera, it should come with a stinkin' memory card... Maybe I'll just buy a Microdrive for her stocking.

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Many cameras that support Compactflash 2 support the microdrive, but hey have to specify it, something about the power requirements.

For those of you complaining of the speeds, get a USB 2.0 CF card reader and if needed a USB 2.0 card for your PC. That'll speed things up considerably. It took me about an hour to load ~17GB of MP3s on my Archos MP3 player with 2.0, and dumping a full 512MB CF card to my PC isn't too bad. I think that only takes a few minutes.

9. Jeff Perry

I'm going to start a new thread about the microdrives. I'm curious to know how many own them, drawbacks, etc. I can get a 1GB microdrive for $175, but a 1GB CF is only $240... the microdrive may or may not be the way to go here...