What's new

Digital Camera video only cable to (TV) ? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Not sure where to place this question and thought this was the best place. Mods please move to proper area if not in the correct place.

I have a Fuji Digital Camera and looking for a (Video Only) cable to allow us to show pic's on our largr RPTV.
I know they (Fuji), make a 3.5mm-male to RCA-male cable for viewing pic's on TV. Their shipping me one as it was left out when boxed from the factory.

Question:
======>
But, does someone make a ~{3.5mm-male to S-video-male}~ cable??????
======>

If so, might someone provide a link to where I might find one...

======>
Or if that type cable is not available, a link to a "higher quailty" 3.5mm-male to RCA-male cable than the very cheap one they are sending me.????
======>

Any help with these cables would be very appreciated!

Regards
Geoff

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I assume the 3.5mm cable is simply a Tip/Sleeve connection- and the other end has an RCA (also Tip/Sleeve)-- so it's really just an adapter and the unit is just passing composite signal on a smaller connector.

If you get the cable and it seems to be nothing more than a cable (nothing like a big bump in the cable path, or boxes it runs into first)- chances are good it's just a compsite jack on the camera with a smaller connector due to the camera size.

In which case, a Svideo cable would be a waste- as the signal is composite to begin with. Like any other device that passes compasite only, you can get a converter (either active or passive) to convert to svideo- but the signal started composite- so you're really getting no picture improvement- just a change in connector type...

As far as getting a higher quality cable- if you determine that the cable you get is, in fact, just simply a cable with no extra components- it means the camera simply passes compsite signal on a 3.5mm plug--- so an 3.5mm mono to RCA cable will likely work fine-- find one from another supplier that you feel has better cables.

-vince

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Vince

Not knowing squat about all this digital camera stuff, your explanination more or less hit it on the head.

That is all it is I belive, 3.5mm to rca composite with nothing special in line with the cable.
Well they do show a small lump, (it's square and about a inch in lenght, and 1/3 to 1/2 of an inch around) this a inch or two from the 3.5mm plug end that goes into the camera.

The cable they show in the manual looks to be pretty cheap and thought their might be a place to get a higher quailty cable. They are sending me one that I'm sure will work, but might a higher quaility one be a good idea.

Not S-vide, as you made clear to me what belive what I have.
Excellent blind explantion by the way Vince! I've looked around on the net and can't seem to find a Video Only 3.5mm to RCA, let alone a high quailty one.

I have know idea if this would help pic quaility, but would like to try and get the best pic Q from the camera to the TV. It's the only way I can upload pic's on this plie I use, "called Web-Tv"!!!! :b

An suggestions on where to find a good cable???

Thanks
Geoff

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The bump you see might be a magnet- which often is used to prevent electrical interference with devices like this.

As far as finding a cable- you might try parts express or some custom builder or specialty audio supplier (markertek maybe?).

If worse comes to worse, for a premium price I could build you a nice one from RG6 canare stuff- but I would look for a commercial solution first as the solder connect on the 3.5mm connector would be a PAIN IN THE BUTT and would probably run you $35 for the cable if I built it.

Another option might be, if you're real serious, I saw a new outboard box that took smart and flash media and would do slideshows. A little box like a VCR- don't knwo if it did svideo- but would auto scale your pictures to TV resolutions and display them...

-V

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Again thanks Vince

Yes already checked in the PE catalogs and on line and appears they do not carry one. First time for me not to find what I want at PE. Adaptors maybe but prefer the fewest connections in line...

Also saw a type of box card reader you mentioned, neat but pricey!

I also thought of building a cable but for now I belve I'll wait for Fuji's cable to come. Then try it out, if it bites big time, I'll then address it with a different option.

And the 3.5mm jack and soldering, no doubt for sure, would be a bitc*!!!!

Worst case senerio, burn them to CD pic disc and upload threw the S-vid out on the player into the Web-Tv unit.

Cheers
Geoff

Edit:
I have found a number of 3.5mm to R&L RCA along with video RCA. Could I use one of those and ignore the L&R audio RCA connects????
Or might this cause a problem or screw the camera up???

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Without getting too technical:

Understand that just becase a jack is 3.5mm, doesnt mean they're all the same. Think about the 1/4 inch plug (the bigger size you see on headphones)-- this is the same size as a Guitar Connection and as a Headphone- but the two are different...

The headphone is TRS (tip, ring, sleeve)- meaning it has 3 conductors, and is designed to go into a hole with 3 contacts. The 3 conductors, in a headphone, carry Left, Right and Shared Ground for the two. This allows you to carry 2 signals (stereo) on one connector.

The Guitar version is TS (tip, sleeve) and has just one channel audio- hot and ground.

In the case of a 3.5mm plug that have vid/aud/aud- chances are it has a special plug designed to carry those 3 signals. if, on a fluke, in both cases, the TIP is video- it MIGHT work fine with your camera. if not, it won't.

But you should look at the cable you get, figure out the connector and then try to match it as close as possible.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks