What's new

Digital Camera Suggestions - $500 Budget (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks for the help, Brandon and Jed! I think I'll be going with the S410, because I'm a point and shoot guy, and I want the most portable camera possible with what I want.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks a lot, Dave! :) I would consider that if I wasn't going to Taiwan for two and a half months in a couple weeks, but unfortunately, it's not going to be released until June. Perhaps I'll get the S410 now, sell it when I get back, and then get the DSC-W1.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I wish that you had a bit more budget to work with. I would recomend getting the Canon Rebel Digital. That way your camera can grow with your needs if you need a new lens 15mm-1200mm you can get one. It doesnt have to be a canon. there are many other co. that make lenses for the canon as well as flashes

check it out here

http://www.canoneos.com/digitalrebel/digital/index.html

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks for the thought, Mark, but I'm not interested in a SLR right now. I just want a portable point-and-shoot.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Thomas: let me throw one more choice into the mix:

The Minolta Dimage G500 is a 5MP digicam, very versatile, great low-light capabilities, and ultra-compact with a rugged all metal case. Considered by many critics to be among the best in its class. And with the G600 hitting the market this month, look for added savings on this one. Minolta is a true innovator in photography; I use their film equipment exclusively.

Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I'm not sure about that kit, the battery looks like a 3rd party mfr, while the Canon brand is $42 on Amazon. The Canon brand case only runs ~$8-11 (it's very compact with no space for extra CF card or battery, but those are easy enough to carry in a pocket) 512MB CF cards can be had at Costco for

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor

The Rebel can be set as a simple point and shoot IE the "green square" mode It sets the shutter speed and apature for you.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ah, but can you put a Digital Rebel in your pocket? :)

The only misgiving I have over most point-and-shoot digital cameras is the god-awful slow focusing (half a second or more!). Any of the new ones fix this flaw?

I love how quickly I can take pictures with my D.Rebel - and it can take four pictures in one second! But it's rather bulky...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks! $76.99 for a 512mb...:eek: So SanDisk is reliable? Should I get two 256mb ones or one 512mb?

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I have a Sandisk 256MB that's been fine so far. My 512MB card is a Kingston (~$90 on Amazon) that I've barely used, but seems OK.
I like big cards myself. It's nice to go a whole trip with 0-1 card changes (not that it's difficult or anything, I just love the low maintenance approach)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, stay away from the kit, the retail prices they use are inflated. You can find a 3rd party battery for as little as 19.00. Between my extra battery, 256mb flash card and case, I spent about 80 dollars.

All of my Sandisk has worked flawlessly so far (1 256, 2 128's).

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Here's what's my shopping cart at Amazon looks like:

Canon PowerShot S410$369.94
SanDisk 512 MB CompactFlash Card$83.99
Canon NB-1LH Battery Pack$41.94
Canon Soft Leather Case$11.99
Subtotal$507.86

I'm going through Amazon because I only have 10 days before I take off for Taiwan, so I don't have time to mess with shady/unknown retailers that offer a cheaper price. However, if you have repeatedly had great experiences with a retailer that is cheaper, please let me know.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
The S400 is an amazing camera. Every review I've seen by users love it. However the 2005 model, the S410, has the improvement of being faster.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
After reading some of the reviews of the $83.99 CF card, I'm having second thoughts. I'd rather pay more than have slow speed. Any recommendations?

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
There are some dicy CF cards out there. They have a low price but are slow even even crap out: loosing all your pictures. Spend a little more and you should be safe.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have a 24x 512mb Transcend card I bought 18 months ago. I hear that the Lexar cards are good too. Prices on flash memory have been dropping steadily over the last couple of years. I would stay away from the no name brands, and slow cards like the non-Ultra Sandisk cards are a waste of money, IMHO.

Even if the camera takes a long time to write the image to flash, you'll at least benefit with very fast download times if you get a fast card and a USB2 card reader.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I think I'm going to jump on the S400. One of the local Circuit City stores has it on clearance for $280, which is a hell of a price.

My sister and brother-in-law just bought the A80 for their trip to Ireland, and it is a nice piece of hardware, although it does have more features than they'll ever use. It's not bulky by any stretch, but it's not a pocket camera, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks