Digital Camera Research

Discussion in 'Photography' started by EdHoch, Aug 24, 2004.

1. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    Once again I am asking the HTF collective for input on a technology purchase I am researching. This time it is on Digital Cameras:

I've got it pretty much narrowed down to the HP (Hewlett Packard) R707, and the Canon S410. They are both around the low $300 range which is about what I can pay.

Anybody out there own either of these items? Good news? Bad news? any advice would be welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Ed

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Me, my parents, and the office I work in bought this KODAK digital camera, and all parties are amazed at the quality and ease of use.

Costs less than $300 these days.

Has a great German optical 4X optical lens and the picture we take and upload to Kodaks Ofoto picture service look amazing. Like Consumer Reports said, don't ALWAYS assume higher pixel cameras will take better pix. This 3.1mb camera has proved that theory is wrong...Note we, as many others do, print 4 x 6 pics 100% of the time, so unless you print posters etc, than going with high pixels is a waste IMHO.

We all bought the EasyShare recharging/picture transfer docks and it makes transfering pic to emails, printers, and Ofoto, VERY easy.

Just my nickels worth.

Alfer

3. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Anyone looking for Digital Camera info should hit without question, www.dpreview.com

This site is awesome. Even allows side by side feature comparisons of any camera they have in their database. Also it has user reviews of cameras along with site reviews so you can quickly get a feel of what you want.

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    This kind of question should be in the Photography Area.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And now it is!

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Don't know much about HP digicams. Personally, I would not be looking at HP for a "real" camera, but for a simple point-and-shoot, it might have good potential. The one main positive I've heard about HP's digicams is that they offer some of the best all-around auto white balance, ie. getting accurate colors w/out significant color cast under most lighting conditions.

Kodak is probably fine for point-and-shoot, but one beef I've had w/ their offerings in the past is the severely cropped view of *both* optical viewfinder *and* LCD preview display. Given all the competition out there, seems to me that this persistent weakness of their designs is unacceptable. But maybe they have addressed that in more recent models though.

The Canon is probably the best choice of the ones mentioned although other competitors like Sony may have caught up already. Probably a good idea to check out Sony's offering before deciding unless you can't stand the idea of using their proprietary memory stick.

And yes, I agree that dpreview.com is one of the best review sites around, if not clearly the best. There are others also to help get a more well-rounded perspective on these cameras, eg. dcresource.com, imaging-resource.com.

And yes, 3-4MP should be good enough for most people. 4MP would be safer in case you want to print high quality 8x10's or do some cropping.

_Man_

7. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    Thank you all (sorry I missed the Photography section)

8. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Heh, I didn't know it was here till yesterday. On the main site, in the drop down list, the Photography area isnt even there.

9. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    Went with the Canon S410, thanks for the advice!