Digital Camera recommendations?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Zimmer, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

My girlfriend has been hinting that a digital camera would make a nice present for her. I have an old Mavica that I like but don't know beans about what's out there now. Any suggestions?

Looking at $200-300 price range, though cheaper is fine [​IMG]
    Simple to operate is an imperative--she's not a computer person so USB connections and all that are probably not a good thing; I don't believe her computer has access for memory sticks either, so I think we're talking a CD-based system (or floppy, if anyone makes such a thing any more).

Thanks!

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

"CD-based" and "$200-$300" are a bit incompatible. Even the floppy-disk-based Mavicas are surprisingly expensive.

If her computer has USB ports, you can get adapters that will let it read CompactFlash, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, whatever. Or she could just plug the camera into the PC. That would open up the range of models available to you by quite a bit.

3. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

You could look at Kodak cameras with their "docking stations." I'm sure they're user-friendly.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Most digital cameras let you download pictures directly into the PC, as long as your computer has a USB port available.

I would NOT recommend any camera that requires a floppy, CD, or tape to record images...they'll be too large, too inconvenient, and too flaky.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Mark:

Do a search on this subject here. I recently started a similar thread, and there were a lot of great responses w/ good information.

Based on the feedback I received, I purchased a Canon digital, out of your price range. But, they make a fantastic camera in the $300 range, the PowerShot A70.

Check out these sites:

Digital Camera Reviews

and

PowerShot A70 Review

6. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

I have a Kodak digital camera that comes with a docking station. Transfering photos is fairly simple. The docking station stays plugged in to one of the USB ports all the time. Simply put the camera on the docking station, press the big (and only) button on the docking station, and you're trasfering pics. Photo quality seems very good, though this is my first digital camera. Model number is the Kodak easyshare LS 443.

Andrej

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

8. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Thanks for the recommendations. Angelo, I searched for digital camera and got exactly squat (which surprised me--I'd bet the search function isn't working right, again).

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Well, that's about a billion more threads than I got when I did the same search last night! [​IMG]