What's new

Digital Camera Recommendations (Canon S400, S50, Sony P72, P92)?? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
My wife and I are ready to get our first digital camera. I can get a great price on the Canon S50 right now at ~$400. Is there anything I should consider for this price that would be better? What about the sony cameras? It would be cool to use the memory stick slot in my Sony TV to view pictures but I don't want to comprimise quality of pictures for that one feature. P72/P92??? Can anything compare to the S50 at this price point?

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I don't know of any specific cameras, but try looking at an Olympus or Nikon one. They're excellent quality, but may get a little pricey.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
It would be cool to use the memory stick slot in my Sony TV to view pictures
If you don't mind a little extra work, you could probably do this with any digital camera. Get one of those multi-format card readers, copy pictures to your computer, then copy them back down to a Memory Stick.

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
I did a lot of research about 6 months back on a camera, same general range you're looking in. Less thatn $300, 3.0MP or higher were my biggies. I ended up with the Sony P72, and I couldn't be happier. I haven't heard a good thing about Olympus yet, but the Kodak isn't a bad option either. Fuji in this range aren't great, but they're high-end stuff is supposedly top-notch.

Good luck.

Todd K

Second Unit
My parents have the S50. Great camera. It has a cable that allows you to connect it to the television via rca plugs. Would this be the same as viewing them from a memory stick? Using the cable has the advantage of letting the camera itself control access to the pictures, so you can zoom and do other tricks while watching on the TV.

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
I have the S230, which is the little brother of the S400 (3.2 MP compared to 4.0 MP, 2x optical zoom vs. 3x optical zoom). In hindsight I would have gone for the S400 just for the zoom, but the S400 actually is missing one big feature that the S230 (and the new S100) has: video with sound. I haven't used it that much but it's pretty cool to play with. Up to 3 minutes at the lower resolutions.

I have a few friends who have the Nikon Coolpix (3100 and 4300 I think). They love them. I went with the Canon purely for portability reasons. It's no worse than having a cellphone in your pocket. Amazon had an amazing deal on the remaining S230 stock a few months ago, but they may be out by now.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have the S400 and it does have sound with the video record function. I've used it. I would HIGHLY recomend the S400. Its a great little camera. I think the one of the best thing about having a small camera (even if it lacks some other features) is the fact that you can take it everywhere. Several of my relatives have big SLR setups, but what good does that do you when their camera is sitting at home and mine is in my pocket? They might have gotten a slightly better shot in theory, but in reality, they didnt get one at all.

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
I have the S400 and it does have sound with the video record function.
Really? Damn. Is this the newer model? Now I wish I'd waited! The one I was looking at definitely did not have video, which i thought was really odd. Some reviewers on dpreview mentioned that as well.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I just switched to a Kodak DX6490. I haven't taken ALOT of pictures with it yet, but I absolutely love it. (I previously owned a DC280, and a Sony DSC-F717).

I really like the colors this camera reproduces. Some people call it "cartoon" colors, but I really like it, and the colors aren't THAT bright.

The 10X zoom lens is a VERY nice feature. It also has a large 2.2" lcd on the rear of the camera. Much nicer than the postage stamp screens most cameras have. I think it's a bargain at $499 considering all the features. It's a STEAL over at the Dell website today: $409!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX6490/D64A.HTM

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A0151687

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My wife and I just got the 3.1 Kodak 6340 with the "SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON 4X Optical Zoom Lens" and we love it!

We got the transfer/charging dock and it just makes it so easy to download pix and charge the battery.

The pictures look outstanding...We upload the to the Kodak Ofoto site using their included EasyShare software and the quality of the pic exceed our usual methods (Wal Mart photo or other local drop off photo places). Worth the extra couple of bucks to have them shipped.

I highly recommend this camera.

Wal Mart just lowered the price to $278 and I got a new in box Dock 6000 on Ebay for $55.

Good luck with your search!

AlferKODAK 6340

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
We have the Canon G3 and love it! Right now, it's available from ~475-500. It's very underpriced right now for it's capabilities. Also, look at the canon a70 and a80 if you're not looking for as much manual capabilities.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've owned and used digi cams from Kodak, Canon and Sony and without a doubt the Canon's are much nicer. I now own a Canon A60 and have personally recomend it and the A70 to a number of people that are all really happy with it. As someone mentioned above most if not all these camera's will come with some sort of video connector that will allow you to see your images on the TV. It should be as simple as plugging in the AV jack from the camera into a composite video port on the front of your TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks