Digital Camera Questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

Was wondering if anyone knew a lot about digital cameras [​IMG]
    I'm going to be getting one soon.. just wondering, I know you can plug it into your PC and download all the images and stuff... but is it possible to have pictures made/developed like normal? I have a color printer but the quality sucks even on good photo paper, and I don't wanna spend $500 just to get a new printer that does it right [​IMG] Can I just take a CD or something to a film developing place and they can develop the pictures from there?

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

3. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Tim,

You don't need to have the photos developed, but you can have them printed just about anywhere, at least I think. I was in Walmart the other day and I asked them and they said it was the same cost as reprinting from negatives....29 cents a print. They can print from Compact Flash, Smart Media, etc.

4. Tim Kline

ok cool [​IMG]
    So has anyone ever seen "developed" digital pictures? how do they compaire to the regular kind as far as quality goes? I know it depends on the camera and all, but just in general...

5. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Tim,

I can let you know in a few days. I'm going to try and print some off at Walmart. I would assume with a decent camera, say 2.1 megapixel and above, that having them printed at regular photo mart would make them look as good as "real" photos. They should be using top quality printers and paper.

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've had my digital camera for over a year(a 3.3Mpxl Sony DSC-S70), and have tried a few services- Ofoto.com and Snapfish.com.

Snapfish.com produces the best prints I've seen from any digital camera. I take all my pictures at the highest resolution (2048x1360 for a 4x6 format, 2048x1536 for a 4x3 format), and they are virtually indistinguishable from our 35mm camera (a higher end Pentax from a few years back). Ofoto.com's prints were notoriously soft, and fleshtones were way off. Snapfish's are near perfect.

In fact, I recently did an office comparison of baby pictures (my daughter)- an 8x10 done by a pro (with a pro-grade 35mm camera) on 35mm, vs. an 8x10 done by a friend (with his Olympus E10 4.0Mpxl camera), and printed by Snapfish. The detail in the digital print exceeds that of the 35mm print. Most picked the 35mm print as "the lower quality one."

I can't recommend Snapfish highly enough.

Todd

7. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I use a Canon Powershot S20 (3.3 mpix) with an Epson Stylus Photo 870 printer.

The quality of prints depends largly on the type of paper you use. I use only the highest quality glossy paper I can find. My 8x10's are just as nice, if not better than 35mm prints. Paper costs anywhere from 10 cents to 50 cents a sheet (8.5x11). Photo printers are really getting cheap, and in the long run you will save money.

I've taken about 900 pictures since buying my camera last year, and have printed about 100.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you are going to print out the digi-photos, DEFINITELY go with a 3.3 Megapixel or higher digital camera, and then take the phoots in the highest resolution possible. This will mean that the photo files will be huge, and limit the amount of photos you cna save on a compact flash or smart media disk beofre you upload them to your PC.

9. Tim Kline

ok, so assuming I get a 3.3 MP camera and I always take the biggest and best pics I can, how many will fit on one of those cards? Do I have to have a bunch of different cards handy in case I will be away from the PC for a while?

10. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I have the 2.1 megapixel Cannon Elph. (For me, the size of it was everything. It's the only camera I would take with me wherever I went.) I take pictures at their highest resolution and get about 85 pictures for a 128 Meg card. Since this isn't a lot for a weeks vacation, I bought a digital wallet. It's basically a 20 GIG portable hard drive, about the size of a palm pilot. Check it out.
    http://www.mindsatwork.net/

11. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a Sony DSC-s75(3.3p) last week. I will tell you this camera takes nice pics. I taken snap shots of my wife and I,(on my site under history and back ground), and printed them from a hp 1215 printer on high gloss paper, it is hard to beleave I did this at home, and never had a photo store do it for me. All the rest of the pics on my site are done with an hp315 camera, I going to retake all the pics and redo my sit. The S75 just takes way better pics, mind you it has 3.3p and hp has 2.1p.

12. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

A really good printer does not need to set you back $500. I purchased the $99 Epson photo printer and it works great.

I use Qimage Pro to do the prints. Inexpensive, free life time upgrades and handles sized up to 8x10.

Kurt

13. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I started out with a Kodak 4800 a little over a year ago. I then upgraded to a Canon S20 and am now using a Canon G2. I would suggest starting cheap and buying a better camera as you go. The deals out there are simply amazing...

14. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Barry,
    Great pictures, but you really need to reduce the size of them before uploading them to your website. The picture of your wife was 1.3 megs! Doesn't bother me too much because I have a fast connection, but most people will get grumpy [​IMG]
    Your camera probably came with photo editing software. Check out its web photo options.

15. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

Ya, I just noticed. I will have to delete them and re-size the pics. Not sure how, but I do have picture software on my computer.Those were the first two pic's I took with the Sony.

16. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I have been very glad for more than 2 years now, with the Epson Stylus Photo 750 in my office (if you choose an Epson, note the "Photo" in the name, not the "Color" versions).

When you use the Glossy Film papers, most people cannot distinguish the results from photo positive.

For use in my home, I just ordered the newest little photo printer by Epson: the Stylus Photo 810. Costs less than $200! It didn't arrive yet (mail order, arrives tomorrow morning), so I cannot give you a definitive impression at the moment. But it has six-colour cartridges (the 750 has 5), and I trust it will be on par!

Cees

18. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

19. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Cees,

I would be interested in your impressions of the new printer. Been looking at it for a second image printer. I do a lot of photos and the Epson Photo 780 is great but slow at the 2880 dpi mode. I've found it to be as you said, great and hard to tell if it's a traditional photo or digital printed on the printer.

Kurt

20. Anthony S

Anthony S Agent

I recently bought the Epson C80 color printer. I had intended on buying the 890 Photo printer, but happened to be in CompUSA when the Epson rep was there. He seemed very knowledgable about all the brands. All have printers that will deliver excellent results on the photo papers. However Epson's inks make the differance. The C80 has the new DuraBright inks that are pigment based instead of dye based. They are rated to resist fading for 70 years if properly mounted under glass. They also use individual ink wells for each color. It is only a three color plus black, but some of the samples I've seen are very nice.

I have not had it long enough to do to much with it yet, but I have been impressed with just the plain paper prints.

$179 with a $30 mail-in rebate. Good deal!