What's new

Digital Camera Problem (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I just got the Olympus D-560 Zoom Digital Camera. It's great when it works. However, there's a big problem:

It sucks the life out of my batteries in less than two minutes. I've been through several AA batteries without being able to take a single picture (the batteries work just long enough for me to press the button down -- for the lcd screen to go blank and come back on -- as if it's taking a picture). Then the battery indicator is flashing red (meaning extremely low battery life left). These batteries are Rayovac heavy duty AA batteries.

I had to go through 5 pairs of batteries just to get the damned lens to retract so I could shut it off. It says it works on two AA batteries but the way this thing is acting, it more or less CRAWLS on two AA batteries.

Are there special AA batteries out there that I need to get in order to get this thing to work long enough so I can take a picture? Or did I get a defective camera?

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Maybe it's just me but I personally think rayovacs makes the worst batteries I've ever had to dealt with and I avoid them like the plague. I'd advise going to something like a dollar general store and buying generic alkalines over the rayovac's "heavy duty" as they seem to be much cheaper and last much longer.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
It sounded like something is wrong with the camera, if it's indeed as bad as you described. I had an Oly 460z, and have a Oly 2100UZ, a set of battery of either camera will take hundreds of pictures and download them to my PC (I don't have AC adapter, so everything is run out of battery). The batteries can easily sit in the camera for 3-4 weeks too.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
No camera should suck down batteries THAT fast, not even the cheapy batteries with the lightning bolts/lightning cats/chinese symbols on them. That has to be a faulty camera. How long have the batteries that you are using been sitting around, are they new?

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Although this is about the Nikon Coolpix 3100 (Mine as soon as it arrives at the camera store I deal with) but I believe that this might still apply to you. My dad who's running with an Olympus C-3030 Zoom said he had this problem too, but not as extreme as you...

Different types of batteries have different power consumption curves. This means that some battery types drain very quickly while others keep their high output over the length of the battery and then become exhausted.

A digital camera is what is called a “high drain” device; this means that it requires a consistent, high level of power to be able to work properly. Once the battery output drops below the required level the camera will stop working, even though the battery may still have power.
The full Knowledge Base Article on Nikon's site is Here

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Brian...try ANY other brand and see what happens. Make sure you use (new) alkaline batteries.

Jon

Scott Wilson

Auditioning
From my experience with digital cameras, go get yourself some good rechargable batteries. There are several varities and price ranges and they will more than pay for themselves in the long run. B & H Photo sells a wide variety.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
From my experience with digital cameras, go get yourself some good rechargable batteries.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Regular batteries just don't cut it as far as digital cameras. And ESPECIALLY if you are using the LCD screen. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong), but if the batteries aren't Alkaline, I highly doubt they will last long.

I don't know what regular non-Alkaline batteries would do, but maybe the batteries aren't even going 'dead', maybe they just can't power the camera and "overheat"??? but I'm just guessing.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Got some rechargeables and BAM...my new camera works fine. It's great and I don't regret the purchase one bit! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks