What's new

Digital camera/memory stick question (1 Viewer)

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

Question for all you digital camera owners....

I bought the wife a digital camera for christmas. I bought a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P100. I have a question on a supplemental memory stick that I also purchased. I bought a SanDisk 256MB MagicGate Memory Stick Pro. According to the salesman it's compatible with the camera. I double checked the ownwers manual and it is indeed compatible with the camera. However there were 3 footnotes about the memory stick in the manual:

1. MagicGate memory stick and Memory Stick Pro are equipped with the MagicGate functions. MagicGate is copyright protection technology that uses encryption technology. Data recording/playback that requires MagicGate functions cannot be performed with this camera.

2. Supports high speed data transfer using a parallel interface.

3. 640 fine size movies can be recorded and played back only using memory stick pro or memory stick Pro duo.

So my question to you all is what if anything negative does this mean for me if I use this memory stick with the camera? Or should I just save myself the hassle and return the memory stick and buy a Sony Memory Stick instead??

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm surprised that there is another format that is compatible with the sony memory sticks. it does sound like somewhat of a hassle though.

i guess if i were you, i'd just stick with the sony memory stick. of course, that does mean if you want to really utilize the convenience of those memory cards, you'll have to stay with sony products.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Greg,

I'll move this to the photography section, where it will be better served, probably.

Cees

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

My guess is that this is a reference to the speed of the flash card ... the assumption being that Memory Stick Pro and Memory Stick Pro Duo flash cards have higher transfer speeds than the original Memory Stick cards.

A regular Memory Stick card might be OK for still photos, but not fast enough to record movies at "640 fine size" resolution.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"i'm surprised that there is another format that is compatible with the sony memory sticks. it does sound like somewhat of a hassle though.

i guess if i were you, i'd just stick with the sony memory stick. of course, that does mean if you want to really utilize the convenience of those memory cards, you'll have to stay with sony products."

Sandisk is a licensed Sony Memory Stick manufacturer. Sandisk products are 100% compatible with Sony products.

What I've quoted above just isn't true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks