What's new

Digital Camcorder Advice Please... (1 Viewer)

Doug Taylor

Auditioning
I've got a baby on the way and haven't looked at camcorders since the VHS days. Any chance of getting a recommendation?

I'm looking in the $900-$1300 range. This will be used for the basic kid, vacation, fun around the house type stuff. Once in a while shipping something to the grandparents on the internet maybe. I'd like digital photo capability as well, but don't really even know the questions to ask anymore. I hear the Sony TRV30 and PC110 talked about a lot. The features seem similar. Do you like one of these? One better then the other? Should I even consider Digital8? Are there tape, memory or memory stick issues I should consider? Help!

Sorry to be so basic, but I'm starting from scratch.

Thanks

DBT

Denward

Supporting Actor
Check out this forum for DV cams:
http://www.dv.com/db_area/cgi-bin/fo...meras&number=2
I was in the same boat as you. My daughter was born on 12/6. I bought a Canon Optura Pi for about $1000 from bhphotovideo.com (very well respected dealer). Canon has discontinued this model, but it's still considered superior to its successor, the Optura 100 MC. As for the Sonys, I think the consensus on that forum is that they are very good in this price range, but they are a little overpriced relative to competitors. Canon and Panasonic get some good reviews and there are also a few JVC fans.
What I've found so far is that any video you want to transmit over the internet needs to be short (

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I picked up a Panasonic PV-DV951 for Christmas at $1350, and I can't say enough about the camera. Great video, and very decent still pictures. 1.6m pixels, and 3CCD's. It's easy to operate, small, and I have been very happy with the experience.

Doug Taylor

Auditioning
Thanks very much for the help your posts have provided so far. I'm learning all the way...and perhaps leaning toward the TRV30 (although I'm now going to compare the Panasonic).

DBT

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I purchased a Sony PC-9 last summer that I'm very happy with. It was about $1000 then.
It uses Mini-DV tapes, and has a firewire connection. I use it with my Mac to make movies, which is a lot of fun :)

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
My daughter was born on September 4. I regret waiting until December to buy a camcorder. I purchased the Sony DCRTV17 from Sears. The sales rep, without me even asking, said that they price match online vendors. Upon hearing that I went home and did a quick internet search for the lowest price for this camcorder, printed the price and brought it back to Sears. I paid $800 out the door. Best Buy and Circuit City sell this camcorder for $1199 b4 tax.

This is an excellent camcorder for a new user. My wife, who is no electronics expert, is able to operate it with ease. Highly recommended camcorder, especially from Sears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks