What's new

Digital Cable (1 Viewer)

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
We got digital cable about two weeks ago. I just ordered a pay per view movie through on demand and the question I have is my recieever did not seem to switch to either dolby digital or DTS. In the creditd it says the movie was in both. I have the cable box hooked up to my Kenwwod VR 507 recevier using the digiatl coax connection. I made sure that the reciver was set to digital auto sound. I tried digital manual sound but I still could not choose Dolby digital. The reciever never changed from pro logic.

John Gido

Second Unit
I have Comcast Digital Cable here in NJ and they don't even offer the "good" converter box with digital audio connections or S-video. However, I did notice that everytime my wife orders a payperview movie from their "Video On-Demand" service (the one that gives you the movie for 24 hrs and the ability to Pause, FF, Rew, etc.) I only get sound from my center speaker. Based on that, I think that the broadcast from Comcast is in MONO. Comcast can offer no explaination. :angry:

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Matthew,

Does your receiver ever indicate DD 2.0 or DD 5.1 encoding when just generally watching channels 100 or above?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
in theaters said:
That doesn't necessarily mean you aren't receiving Dolby Digital. Many cable channels and providers don't provide anything beyond a 2-channel DD signal (also known as "DD 2.0"). Your receiver would treat such a signal the same way it would treat a stereo analog signal -- i.e., ProLogic decoding.
M.

chiante

Agent
i have cox digital cable and i have it hooked up to the coax input on my receiver and set the sound in the cable box menu to digital audio. channels 100 and above all broadcast in prologic II or dd surround. most newer movies are in dd surround. before cnn/si went off air, i received them in dd surround. check your cable box set-up menu.

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
we do not have any of the premium channels so I do not know if dolbyu digital works for them.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
channels 100 and above all broadcast in prologic II or dd surround.
Nothing is broadcast "in ProLogic II". DPL2 is a decoding format that works on 2-channel sources; it is not a format for encoding or transmitting soundtracks.
Your use of the term "DD surround" is ambiguous, because it could refer to either 5.1 or 2.0 processed through a surround processor.
M.

chiante

Agent
i didn't go into enough detail, the dd channels either are 5.1 or 2.0, most are 2.0. cnn/si was in 5.1, some of the more recent movies on hbo,cmax,showtime,and tmc are in 5.1 but most are in 2.0. the channels in pro-logic can be listened to in plII movie mode(sorry for not explaining thoroughly)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks