What's new

Digital Cable (1 Viewer)

I have digital cable in my area and it does not bring in surround sound . Before the cable company made us change to there digital broadcast we had analog cable and the surround came through on anything that was broadcast in surround. What can I do ??? other then going to a satillite system... Any ideas would be great..

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Dennis,

A couple quick questions for you:

- what connection are you using to get the sound from the digital cable box to your receiver/processor? (digital coax, digital optical, analog)

- what digital cable box do you have?

- have you explored the Setup menu of the digital cable box? (sometimes there are options related to audio output there, possibly a surround feature)

I have tried both connection's on the box analog and the digital rca to my processor . I also have tried all setting in the box setup menu and still no surround . The cable box is a Scientific-Atlanta 3100. My cable company told me that the only way I'm going to get surround is when all channels got to a digital broadcast....

Thanks for those tips but I have tried them with no success.

Any other ideas would be great!!!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Are you getting stereo? Can you hear separate left and right channels on any broadcast?

When you use the digital connection, do you get a Dolby Digital signal? If so, what format (5.1, 2.0, 1.0)?

I suggest you also list your make and model of receiver and describe your speaker configuration. The more information you provide, the greater the likelihood that someone can assist you.

M.

What I have is a Technics SA-TX50 , Technics SH-AC500 decoder DD & DTS. Mitsu 55' 16x9 big screen, Cerwin Vega's Speakers,Ctr Lft,Rt,RearLft,RearRt,Eosone 200wpowered Sub,

It comes through in stereo but it does not sound right.

I hope this helps a bit more in helping.

I'm really thankful for this forum it has been a help in the past.

Dennis

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Dennis,

Can you provide any further info on this? It doesn't sound like stereo?

Most programs on my digital cable are stereo--all the analog stations (well, maybe some are mono--I haven't checked), and most broadcasts on the >100 channels (the digital channels) are DD 2.0 I believe. A very few programs (occasionaly HBO or Starz things) are in a 5.1 format. I can tell by looking at my receiver/processor which signal it's receiving--2.0 vs. 5.1.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I reccomend calling the cable company's main office in your area, and asking for the engineering department. That turned out to be the only way I got a similar problem fixed with Time Warner digital in my area. The poor customer service folks did NOT have good information, and were trying, but to them the problem was unsolvable. The engineer I finally talked to was, and has continued to be, very helpful.

Good luck.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you're getting stereo, then you should be getting surround. As the term is generally used, "surround" is just a decoding process applied to a stereo signal. That's all you had with your analog signal. If you're getting stereo from the digital cable, you should be able to get surround. This may have something to do with the decoding mode for which the receiver is set.

But as someone has already pointed out, you need to specify what exactly doesn't sound "right".

M.

Mike Matheson,

I checked things further and the DD is 2.0. When I hooked it up before I did not restart the processor and it registred as DD but it is only 2.0... When I said it is in stereo but not sounding right was the separation was not really true stereo but. You guy's cleared thing up and helped me I got what was expected DD2.0... I can deal with that for now!!!

Thanks much... I'll be posting pic of my room soon you all will have to check it out !!!

What did you all think of my setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks