Digital Cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Dietz, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Brian Dietz

Brian Dietz Auditioning

Does digital cable actually produce a better quality image than regular cable? How would you compare satellite image quality to that of digital cable?

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    Digital cable does very little to improve picture quality in comparison regular cable. What digital cable offers the cable customer is more channels, but other than helping a bit with ghosting and other forms of interference, picture and sound quality are pretty much unaltered. In addition, the vast majority of cable systems have no way of delivering HDTV to you, while satellite does... this may not be an issue for you today, but it will someday.
    Satellite is a big improvement over both analog and digital cable, and is the way to go if you are looking to get the best picture and sound quality out of an AV system. The main disadvantage to satellite is that hooking up more than two TVs is an expensive and (relatively) complicated process, while with cable it's easy. Hope this was helpful!

3. Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin Agent

Brian: I switched to digital cable and switched right back to regular cable since the picture quality on my regular cable was so much better. The digital cable picture on the broadcast channels was very grainy. The picture on the higher channels (over 100) was good but, since I am mostly interested in broadcast channels, it didn't help me.
    Digital cable - at least in NYC - is fine if you are looking for additional channels. It didn't add anything to, and in fact, detracted from the picture quality.
    Lisa