digital cable

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BradleyS., Oct 12, 2003.

1. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

I live out in the middle of nowhere and as far as I know I dont have hd broadcasting. I do have digital cable available but I was wondering if its a good upgrade over "standard" cable? What would the advantages be? I have a Hitachi HD ready set and would love to see what it can do. Does directv offer hd ?

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I can't say I noticed a big difference in picture quality...just a lot more channels.

3. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

Who was your cable supplier? I have classic cable. Dont know if it makes much difference though.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Kyle brings up a very good point. Get the list of additional channels that you get with digital, and see if you would really want to watch any of them.

Forget the picture quality. This is just "TV' and even with analog, you should be getting a great looking picture. If you aren't, then they need to come out and start taking some readings.

Glenn

5. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

IMO the additional HBO and showtime channels just show some horrible movies.

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I have Comcast.

7. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

Digital cable does not improve the picture quality. What it does is allow them to send a greater number of channels down a smaller pipe. The digital box converts the signals of the channel allowing you to watch more than you could get coming down the standard pipe.
    You would still need a HD converter to watch any HD programing, which you can get through DirecTv and I think would be more available over Comcast. I have Comcast where I live and I absolutely hate it. Channel selection sucks, the picture quality is terrible and now they are raising rates again. I don't have a line of sight for a dish otherwise I would be going that route.