Digital cable....wavy lines

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Cisco_c, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Cisco_c

Cisco_c Auditioning

Hello
    I just moved into apartments that dont allow DSS only cable. Got Comcast Digital cable and am very disappointed. I have wavy lined moving up my screen and the quality just doesnt match DSS. Any thing i can do or call the cable company?

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

First off what channels are the wavy lines on?? are they below 100 above 100 or is it happening on all channels?? If its happening on all channels then it is most likely a grounding issue where there is a groundloop being created somewhere. If its on channels below 100 it may be a weak signal that will need to be adjusted or if its a local station it could be the OTA signal being recieved by Comcast of that station. Stations above 100 should not have any artifacts like wavy lines, snow etc since they are digital channels and if there is a signal issue there your either going to get tiling or no picture at all and thats about it. Also is the box connected to your tv using Coax, Composite, or S-Video??.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You can call the cable company.

You should also know that federal law makes it illegal for an apartment/landlord to refuse to allow you to put up an antenna or sat dish. Otherwise the cable companies have a monopoly on television service.

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

How do you deal with this if it's a grounding issue?

5. Cisco_c

Cisco_c Auditioning

How would i go about it? Just install it the dish? What if they threaten to evicted me? I think i will call the cable company. Can they Check the line for problems? if so why didnt they do it when they installed it?

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

1) Tell your apt complex that you are going to do it, and ask them how they want you to. Most who are going to be picky will tell you you have to get renter's insurance and you can't install the dish onto the building, like you have to put it on a pole sunk into a bucket or something.

2) Tell them they can't. I don't know how far you want to take it, but you can go to court if necessary.

3) It's probably not the line, it's a ground loop which is caused by your equipment... I've noticed it happen with my stuff at times too, like when I only had the cable box and tv plugged in it was okay, but with my receiver and all my electronics I have the same problem as you...

7. Cisco_c

Cisco_c Auditioning

if it is a grounding problem how can i fix it?

8. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I'm curious about this too. My theory is to gradually unplug different components, try plugging things into a different plug... but I really don't know.

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Usually the actual CATV coax itself is the source of noise. The long runs of wire on poles makes them a great antenna. The outer mesh shield should be the zero-volt reference, but after running for 100 of yards, there is lots of noise on this 'shield'.

10. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Cisco,
    I have digital cable and had the same experience 6 months ago when I put my HT together. On my screen they were very faint horizontal lines moving up. Mine wasn’t grounding problems.

“JeremyFr, where the hell were you when I needed you?”

You would have saved me many hours/weeks of frustration and time. Cable looked great from the wall directly into the TV but when routed through any other equipment the lines were there. I tried everything and blamed everyone for my problem. I blamed the surge protector/line conditioner, I argued with Denon that the video switching in my 3803 was messed up (probably reset the microprocessor 3+ times), switched out the cables over and over again (including purchasing new ones), replaced my cable box 3 times (even the cable guy that delivered the 3rd box didn’t have a clue).

I did discover that when I switched to RCA to connect my receiver to the TV the lines disappeared (this was another reason why I blamed the Denon – thinking the digital outputs were defected – also why I kept questioning the cables).

I rarely watch TV and by default I always tested the TV picture using the lower channels. One evening while watching a kid’s movie on HBO with my son I realized the lines weren’t there. That started that process that lend me to the conclusion that JeremyFr so easily gave as your first response. The upper channels are digital the lower are analog. My choices are: switch to RCA or live with lines in the lower channels.

11. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Sigh [​IMG]

I too went through every possible thing to try to get rid of the wavy lines.

First in our appartment disconnect everything, reconnect. Bought new S video cable. Tried through reciever direct to 27 inch TV. Only thing that made wavy lines go on no digital was NOt using S video.

Just moved to a new house figured cable signal might be better, got new receiver and new RPTV. Guess what SAME LINES. Tried everything again (except buying cable). Finally read this thread and figured since I only get 3 DIGITAL channels and regular TV qulity is crap anyway I'll just use a composite cable lose 1% in picture quality (that isn't great anyway)but no more wavey lines. sucks that they can't offer quality on all not just digital [​IMG]

12. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I get near- horizontal wavy lines with my digital cable. There is a slight tilt to them and they kind of appear in bundles which climb up the screen slowly. It is most noticible on digital channels although it is there on all channels. It is really noticable on digital channels when the cable box is changing the picture on the screen (such as placing the program description on the bottom of the screen).

Any suggestions? I find the problem goes away if I don't route the video thru the reciever. The problem is more apparent when my DVD player is on, but it is still there sometimes when the player is off.

Thanks!

Mark

13. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

If the lines change depending on the equipment you have turned on it's more than a cable issue. Check your ground (as mentioned in this thread)

14. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

-Kevin- hehe sorry I wasn't around then couple things one I do tech support for Comcast though many people like to refer to us as "script readers" though I can tell you I'm anything but. I've been with the company almost 2 years and do help desk mainly for internet but still do the occasional video call's to[​IMG]

secondly I had this problem at one point in my life and it ended up being that I had my computer hooked up to the TV, when it first emerged I had a 19" TV that only had Coax in so I figured maybe it was the rf modulater I was using then I thought it was my reciever etc etc I went through all kinds of things to figure it out and no solution.

I then got my current set and had the reciever hooked up to it with both my computer and cable going through it and still getting the bars so I thought hmm maybe it was my reciever finally found it was the damn cable box creating a ground loop with my computer. Since I was using my puter at the time as a DVD player I ended up having to switch cables to the TV etc when I wanted to watch one or the other. The weird thing is I used a convertor plug to lift the ground on the computer but it did not fix the problem.