What's new

Digital Cable vs Satellite (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
With the new divisions I am not quite sure where to put this...

I have never had cable in my life, never needed it, as I don't watch much TV. So if I am going to pay to watch freaking TV, I expect it to look and sound the best it can. So what is better between the two? I currently have a 32", but plan on getting a 50" WD by the fall. Here is more:

- I am no big fan of American sports, I am much more interested in international stuff starting with soccer.

- Is there any package that would allow me to watch the french news networks? I would like to actually know what is happening around the world, I can't stand local news channels.

- I do not have to have the premium channels. They don't hurt, but they are not a necessity. They would be if they weren't P&S'ed.

- I HAVE to watch some of the network shows like the Practice and Philly on ABC... from what I understand, they might not be available on DBS?

- I live in Hartford, CT (need to change that header)

TIA

--

Holadem

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Both use compression and if your ultimate priority is quality then I'd opt for regular 'ol analog cable. This is just my experience after looking at the fuzziness from my Granddad's Digital Cable hookup with up to 1000 channels, 300 of which were music, blah blah...

I think between the two you mentioned though satellite would have the upper hand. Some of the other guys could probably fill you in better.

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
Digital Cable is awesome when it isn't scramblimg it's message...haven't tried the dish yet...would love to hear some opinions from you guys that have had both!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It depends on who your cable company is and where you live.

By those who have tried both in their homes, Time Warner Digital Cable is generally considered to have better picture quality than satellite. Most of the other digital cable companies are generally NOT considered to have better picture quality than satellite.

It is true, if you have a good cable provider, analog cable picture quality beats BOTH digital cable and DBS.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Michael is right. It really depends on your cable company. I have digital cable and my father in law has satellite and his picture looks way sharper than mine. I see digital artifacts all the time on digital cable.

Patrick

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I just got Cox digital cable here in Northern Va on Friday. I'm very impressed with the premium channels so far. Crystal clear and no artifacts. I've seen Comcast and Adelphia digital cable and their premium channels look like crap. Guess it depends on the provider.

Jeff

One additional thought. A friend of mine has Digital Cable and the box they gave him doesn't not have S-Video hook so you cannot mix S-Video from TV to Receiver and component hook up from Cable to Receiver. I believe they have to be the same. The ease in use on the S-Video is what he likes and now is thinking on getting Satellite

Matt Rising

Auditioning
I use both Comcast Digital (in Baltimore) and DirecTV. The all-digital channels on Comcast (HBO, Sho, Flix, Starz, Sundance, and others not present on 'std' cable) all look really good. There are fewer compression artifacts on Comcast than on DirecTV. Of course the cable box I use (GI DTC-2200) has no digital audio out and only component video.
The premium movie channels on DirecTV look like crap compared to Comcast Digital. Compression artifacts are abundant. The advantages of using the 1080i/480p component video out from my satellite receiver are completely offset by the overly compressed signal.
:angry: [rant]Unfortunately, I despise Comcast's shady way of doing business and absolutely horrendous customer service so much that I am moving solely to DirecTV where someone always answers the phone and changes are made 5 seconds after I request them. (And I don't get double-billed or yelled at by some chick with a thick New York accent.)[/rant]
The final kicker is that you CANNOT get HD from Comcast in Baltimore. These factors combined leave DirecTV BARELY in the lead
DirecTV for customer service and HD
Comcast for better overall picture quality
*SIGH* What's a boy to do?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Thanx for the replies guys.

I still don't know what to do. Actually, picture quality is not that big a dieal, I just want a lot of channels with the features I listed in the original post, and figured I would get the foreign stuff with satellite. Perhaps I am wrong... I also posted about digital cable as opposed to analog because I tough it was the "latest and greatest". Since it doesn't appear to be, what does it offer over "plain ole analog"? If it is digital picture then I shouldn't care since I won't have a digital TV for several months. If it is the music channels then I will definitly take digital, I do like that feature.

I think I only have AT&T in my area. ANY thoughts on them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--

Holadem

Roy C.

Second Unit
Matt,

I'm sure you meant Composite video and not Component. Not many "cable" boxes have the latter.

Holadem,

I've been faced with the same dilema for quite some time.

The biggest differences between analog and digital cable: you get more features like Guide, Info, Start/End Time, Movie Details, Programming options for viewing and PPV. plus in my area, Orlando, FL, they are offering HDTV and soon iControl (PVR style box). You also get to have standard cable (analog) on all my other (5) TV's for free.

DBS (Dish) now has a new deal where you "lease" up to 4 receivers and they include installation, etc. for a flat monthly fee, plus you can upgrade to their PVR (501) for $99. This deal has made me think about Dish again but Road Runner makes my decision even harder.

Anyway, my thoughts only.

Later,

Roy C.

Victor Y

Agent
I have not decided which way I am going to get my HDTV signal yet. I have directview philips 32" HD ready TV and digital cable.

I want to know which give you better picture, digital cable or satellite? Does satellite's signal close to 480i and how many lines of resolution does cable provided?

Bottomline, should I switch to satellite?

Drake

Agent
Holadem,

I'm in the Hartford area too. I had AT&T digital cable for two years and just switched to Dish Network two weeks ago. I switched for several reasons, but primarily because of improved picture quality and sound. Digital cable just wasn't cutting it for me, and it's not really digital! It's an upconverted analog signal that upconverts all of the line noise with it.

If you opt for Dish or Directv, you will also need basic cable service to watch local channels in Hartford. Dish says that it's expanding its local service and I was told by my installer (who did a great job by the way) that locals for Hartford should be available in the second quarter.

For Dish 150, plus HBO and Showtime, and basic cable it ends up being $3 less per month than digital cable was.

I'm still trying to get used to all of the features and services. Dish PVR is SO cool. Last night I was watching a movie with my wife and she missed some dialog. I just rewound the movie to where she missed it. In my opinion, go for sat. Better picture and sound quality. Next step for me is upgrading to an HD capable sat receiver.

Victor Y

Agent
I have AT&T digital cable and I think they are behind other cable company in moving to HDTV. Also the cable box they provided to me (Motorola) do not have S video output. I am going to switch to Direct TV or Dish soon.

Digital cable, provided the cable company has a good feed, gets the job done. Just be sure that the stb has s-video and digital outs, as this improves the premium channel experience much more(for movies like Castaway). I enjoyed satellite when I had it, and enjoy digital cable now that it is all i have. Just be sure, as with anything, all connnections are done to both yours and the companys best ability. Whine if you have too and complain. I find digital cable is great if you are alos planning on cable broadband service also, all the same wire and all in one place. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks