Digital Cable vs Dish Network

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by STLMIKE, Dec 11, 2003.

1. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

I would say that my cable service is tolerable...no better. Has anyone had any satellite horror stories?

4 DSS receivers plus digital video recorder will cost the same as digital cable w/only 2 receivers. I'm ready to switch, I'm just concerned that DSS will have reliability problems (i.e. outages, etc.)

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

2. Paul_Ptaaty

Paul_Ptaaty Stunt Coordinator

I had digital cable and went to Dish Network....

I guess dish has a little better pq, but it is slightly laggy (like all sats). I cannot think of one time when the service was out...

If you go with dish do youself a favor and get a PVR model, more than anything this is what makes the system. Similar to TIVO and built right into the interface in an all in one unit.

3. STLMIKE

My plans exactly Paul. Thanks.

4. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

I just signed up with Dish and got the free 811 HD receiver. It's my first so it seems pretty nice especially since it will integrate the HD I receive off air.

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

If your looking to get into HD some cable companies have a lot more choices (local HD and Premium HD channels)with no out of pocket expenses. I went from Directv (8 years) back to cable for this..I have 12 HD channels including locals and an HD box provided by the company.

6. RobertJP

RobertJP Auditioning

I've owned Dish for 4 years now. Cable wasn't offered at the time in my neighborhood since it was brand new. During some severe storms, the signal has been lost (temporarily - like less than a minute), but that has only happened maybe a handful of times over 4 years. I especially like the Payperview movies - excellent picture quality and digital audio (especially the ones that broadcast in dolby digital).

My buddy up the street had cable and was sick of paying higher prices and getting a crappy picture. He switched and has been much happier - he got the 510 DVR model.

I still have a very old model for my receiver, haven't decided which sat receiver I want to upgrade too.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

8. STLMIKE

bump

9. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Not being a Dish customer, I haven't kept up with locals that closely. I knew that had added Memphis and Little Rock but Fort Smith/Fayetteville is a surprise. I knew it had grown since lived there but I didn't know it was big enough to be carried on satellite. I wish I could get LR or Fayteville on DirecTV. I really miss ARSN and Razorback basketball.

-Robert