Digital Cable vrs Satallite Online Services

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Apr 23, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Wich is better?

We just got the letter in the mail stating that Digital Cable Modems are finally available in our area after a 5 year rate. But, we also got the Cablevision bill a day later, and found out we're paying close to $70 freakin' dollars for basic cable, + HBO/Encore. Is it really worth signing up for it, or is Satellite Cheaper and better both ways?

Also, when you get access to digital cable, does that mean Digital TV is available as well? I.E. More Channels?

THanks!

2. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

I would go to DSL Reports . Check out the fourms. Digital cable will have more channels, but will probably cost you more $$$. I have a cable modem and digital cable thru Charter Communications, and pay $110/month for 130+ channels (including movie channels) and 1.5Mb Broadband. I believe the fastest download speed for a satellite is around 256Kb, and the uploads are around 40Kb,which makes them not very good if you play games online. Call your cable company and see if they are offering any discounts for a Digital cable/Broadband package.
    Randy T

3. Derek Williams

Derek Williams Stunt Coordinator

Only use satellite internet access if it is your only option. The download speed during peak hours (12:00 pm 10:00pm) are between 56k - 128k. I have directpc and it is horrible for browsing, the only nice part of the system is around 2:00am the download speed is 1500k+. Also there is a fair access policy (FAP) that limits you downloads.
    check http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat for more info.

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Crap, that's slow. At our year round house here, we get speeds of up to 2.4KB/s, so I guess Cable Modems are our only option.

Thanks for the input! Now I've got to find out if digital cable/optimum TV is available to us as well..

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Neil,

Check with your cable company for package deals. I am paying around $98 for the deluxe cable package (everything but Pay-Per-View) and the premium cable modem service (1.5 Megabits/sec download.)

They might even be running introductory specials.

One Other Piece of Valuable Advice:

Check every so often with your cable provider about their packages. They change and you could benefit by keeping tabs on them.