What's new

digital cable tv conversion questions (1 Viewer)

Rod Rebello

Auditioning
I will soon be "upgraded" to COX digital cable TV service which requires a set-top box to get more than 22 channels. I currently have analog cable service that is distributed to my televisions through a coax distribution panel in a closet. The panel includes amplifiers and splitters to handle up to 8 TVs.
With digital service, will I still run the incoming cable line to the distribution panel? Will the splitters still work properly? Should I bypass the amplifiers?
I also have a couple of modulators connected to the panel to insert a satellite signal and front door camera (ch 82 & 87). Will these still work, if not how do I handle this?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Gene Severn

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,
When our cable system was upgraded to digital, all splitters were changed out to 1 GHz. units (from the old 900 MHz.), and all coax was upgraded to RG6 quad shielded. My old Rat Shack amps were useless. We didn't need amps after the upgrade, and we are driving 4 TV's plus a cable modem.
Gene

Rod Rebello

Auditioning
Gene, I will check my splitter frequencies to see how many may need to be upgraded.
Andrew, unfortunetly, your comment is true. I currently have regular analog service and can view all of the COX "classic" channels up to ch 100 without a convertor box. COX sent me a letter saying that when the new digital service is activated, I will need a cable box for every TV where I want to view more than the first 22 channels. They charge $3.50/mo for each box over 2.
I have 9 TVs. Basically, I either pay $24.50 more per month and add more bulky equipment to each TV to get the same level of service I have today with analog cable, or reduce my service for the same cost! Now that's progress
frown.gif
[Edited last by Rod Rebello on September 18, 2001 at 11:35 AM]
[Edited last by Rod Rebello on September 18, 2001 at 11:36 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks